CHB-1 Review

1,726
review (1) pictures (9) user comments vote for this gear:
CHB-1 Reviewed by: theresnodrama, on july 02, 2015

Purchased from: Manufacturer

Features: This bass was made in China. It is a short scale 31" 335-style semi-hollow bass made of maple and with an ebony fingerboard. It has D'Addario Roundwound strings out the box, but I have changed these for some flat wound string. Mine has a flamed maple top with a 3-tone tobacco burst. It has chrome controls and tailpiece and a floating Hofner-style bridge. It has 2 passive humbuckers. With 2 volume and tone controls. And a 3-way pickup selector. Included with it was 2 wooden plectrums and an audio cable. // 9

Sound: I play mostly blues rock and this guitar suits me fine. With the tone controls up to the treble side it has a great bright sound, and you can roll the tone all the way down for some excellent blues tones. For the money it sounds absolutely amazing. I mostly play with a pick and the shape of the bass suits that very well and it's probably the most comfortable way to play. It also plays quite well with fingers. I can't slap bass so I can't really comment n this. I use this with an Orange Crush 50W bass amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass arrived without the intonation being set, but this was quite easy to set up with the floating bridge. Just loosen the strings and slide it into place. I didn't need to adjust the truss rod. And the fretwork was pretty good out the box. There were 2 frets that were slightly un-level, although not terrible. I could have left them - but I chose to have a full setup and fret levelling done anyway. Which I think was worth it. The paint finish and biding is really excellent. It looks great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The body of the bass is very light, but it has a center block. I wouldn't recommend you use it for gigging without getting a case. These weren't available yet at the time I purchased. So I have yet to get one. The hardware all seems pretty good. The machine heads work fine. The strap locks are ok. It stays in tune nicely. And sounds great. The cable that they supplied is very basic. The finish looks good. It's a really good colour. I gave it a really good clean and a polish and it seems like it will wear well. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I would say this is excellent for the money. It sounds much better than the price tag would suggest and is a really beautiful bass. I didn't expect it to be as versatile as it was, but I can get a really good range of tones from it. I found the company selling it on Facebook, and although it took quite a long time for it to arrive, I'm really happy with it. It compliments my other bass (Ibanez GSR200) well as it gives a very different sound. It's the first semi-hollow but I absolutely love it. // 9

Comments