Artisan B5 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 06/30/2006 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Cort: Artisan B5
This bass comes with hipshot lic. tuners and a hipshot bridge that weighs about a pound for insand sustain. The controls are master volume, pickup blend, treble cut/boost, mids cut/boost, bass cut/boost, and a mini-toggle for EQ on/off.
 8.2
 9.2
 7.1
 10,191
review (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Artisan B5 Reviewed by: boogs420, on june 30, 2006

Features: The Cort Artisan B5 is the middle line bass in the Artisan series. It is Korean-made and comes stock with Barolini active pickups and a Bartolini active pre-amp. The bass comes with hipshot lic. tuners and a hipshot bridge that weighs about a pound for insand sustain. The controls are master volume, pickup blend, treble cut/boost, mids cut/boost, bass cut/boost, and a mini-toggle for EQ on/off. The body is swamp ash with a dark mahogony oil finish. The neck is a wenge with maple and it looks like mahogony stripers. The neck is a bolt on but it sill has a good amount of sustain. // 10

Sound: In my spare time I play everything from trebly punk to rage style and the Bartolini's can be EQ'd to do anything. In my band I play emo and punk and this bass can tackle it all. My only complaint is that sometimes when I haven't plugged in for a while, the active EQ takes a minute to "warm up". If I cut all the bass and mids and boost the treble I get a 60-cycle type hum from either pickup. Even with those two problems I would still give the sound a 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine new from an eBay store so I don't know if he set the bass up after the factory set-up but I haven't had to mess with the action, truss rod, etc. I haven't had to do anything to the pickups. This bass was made perfectly. The oil finish is very sensitive. I made a stratch in the wood from a pick. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the chance to gig with this bass yet but it performs flawlessly through my GK rig. The strap buttons where fairly large and I hadn't had any problems from them but within a week I put Jim Dunlop Straplocks on anyway just to be safe. When I gig, I plan to bring my fretless jazz bass just in case something would happen but I tend to be a bit too anal about those things. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from punk to ska to metal and this bass covers them all. If this bass where stolen I'd cry for a long time. Then I would trade the thief for a hit in the head with a bat. I love everything about this bass. She is my soulmate. // 10

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ X-1 7.7 Electric Guitars 01/25/2016