Curbow 6 review by Cort

Cort: Curbow 6

I usually play rock and metal music, but I bought this guitar because I played in a jazz band during high school and this guitar was perfect for that. The extended range made soloing a breeze. At the time I played through an Ampeg combo, but I play on my Genz Benz amp and it sounds great. With the Active EQ and the contour Switch, you can dial in many different sounds with this bass.

Usually play rock and metal, but this is one of those basses that can be used for almost any kind of music, thanks to the active EQ. I have been playing bass for 8 years now and I own a few other basses (Dean ML, Fender 5 string, Rogue fretless, Genz Benz amp). If it were lost/stolen, I would consider another 6-string in this price range, but only if it had the active EQ as well. I just think these guitars look cool, and with the high cutaway upper strings/frets are easy to play. Overall, money well spent in my opinion and a very nice 6-string bass.

All of the times I've used it Live, I've never had a problem with it. The only complaint I have is with the battery compartment for the active EQ, you gotta have a Phillips screwdriver handy to change batteries as opposed to those pop-off battery doors. The strap buttons are solid and the finish looks great (except for the chipped spot). I have gigged on it without a backup many times with no problems, just remember to check your batteries/unplug the bass when not in use.

Like I said, I bought this bass used so there were a few flaws, mostly cosmetic. There is a chip of the finish missing where the previous owner had dropped the bass! And apparently it is difficult to fix finish on luthite so I have just let it be because a refinish job would be way too expensive for what I paid for the bass. All in all, a killer looking/playing 6 string.

I bought this bass (the 6 string version w/ a hardshell case) used about 5 years ago, so I'm not sure on the year/origin. It has 25 frets and the body is made of luthite. The neck is made of maple and extends all the way to the pickup and is bolt-on (5 bolts). It has active EQ and a contour Switch that lets you boost or cut the mids and highs (there are fine tuners on the back of the guitar). Bartolini pickup.