GB-34 review by Cort

Cort: GB-34

This bass sounds really good considering the price, it gives a nice warm tone with the jazz pickup, and the hum bucker gives a deeper more aggressive sound. Combined they can produce a really nice tone. Like most cheap instruments the volume and tone pots don't really give much variety, however if you have a half decent amp you can get some variety there. I mainly play hard/ alternative rock, and the bass is good for both of these. It's quite versatile so it can also do metal/slap and pretty much any genre. It's a good all purpose bass, very versatile.

My first bass was a Squire P-Bass, which had way to many problems. Compared to that this bass is a dream, it's reliable and has a good variety of sounds, and can be used for any style. If it was lost I don't think I would get another one, I'm saving for something a bit more expensive. But as a first or second bass I would recomend it to anyone. Cheap but solid.

I haven't played Live with this bass for a few years, but when I did it was perfect. No problems with it at all, played without a backup. I have had it quite a few years and there hardly any scratching on it at all, and that's with mw playing it almost everyday. I can't see it breaking anytime soon.

The action on the bass was good when I got it, over the years I've experimented with lower and raising it. I've settled on a relatively low action, it took a little bit of tinkering but there's no fret buzz at all. The only problem I've had with the bass was some loose wiring causing one of the pickups to cut out, simple problem to fix but irritating. Also the string guide snapped after only a few months, it was poory shaped anyway so I've replaced it with a better one.

Not sure where and when this bass was made. 22 frets, passive electronics, one jazz style pickup and one hum bucker style, two volume and one tone control. I think the colours Lake Placid Blue, with a white pick guard. The finish and colour are really good. I've had it several years and there are no chips and it hasn't faded or lost any of it's Shine.

Guitar Fetish?
    I've changed my mind. I've had this for a while now, and it's been nothing less than solid. I don't think this bass is cheap at all, and I think you should go buy one.
    andrew.jj.lawre
    Cort is a good brand, many of the G&L 'Tribute' series and lower end Ibanez basses are made by Cort in Indonesia. I have the earlier Cort GB334, it's a passive bass which I picked up for £70. It has been well looked after by the previous owner (looks like new). The finish is walnut stain. The bridge is a MusicMan-style, it's not a high-mass bridge, but it does the job, also while the bass itself does not have the option for 'string-thru' body, the bridge does, so it would be fairly simple to string this bass 'thru-body' if one wanted to. The humbucker is a high-output pup, very growly and similar to a stingray in tone, the Jazz pup is warmer and rounder in tone, typical jazz tone. When the two different pups are blended the tones are amazing for a passive bass. The bass is made in Indonesia and the finish is way above what you would expect for a bass at this price-point. I am thinking of modding mine and adding a 'string-thru' body option as well as a 2-band active EQ (a Stinger from David at 'Probass' in the UK). All in all, a worthwhile and very tidy bass with great tone and well made, this bass punches way above it's weight
    Delicious Bass
    Nice Review. I too have a GB34. I bought it a year ago because I live in a small town with one music store that happens to sell cort guitars. I also use a 1976 Fender Precision Bass. I have played both during performances. There is no discernable difference in my opinion. I guess we'll see if the cort holds up for 30 years. Overall, its a good bass for the money.
    Guitar Fetish?
    I got this as a first bass from a pawn shop, 70. I can't really play at all yet, but the action is very good and finish is excellent. You can tell its a cheap bass, but I don't care, cause its solid and very well made. I only have good things to say about Cort.