GB-34 Review

8.6
 6,220
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
GB-34 Reviewed by: goodlifebadlife, on january 23, 2009

Features: Not sure where and when this bass was made. 22 frets, passive electronics, one jazz style pickup and one hum bucker style, two volume and one tone control. I think the colours Lake Placid Blue, with a white pick guard. The finish and colour are really good. I've had it several years and there are no chips and it hasn't faded or lost any of it's Shine. // 8

Sound: This bass sounds really good considering the price, it gives a nice warm tone with the jazz pickup, and the hum bucker gives a deeper more aggressive sound. Combined they can produce a really nice tone. Like most cheap instruments the volume and tone pots don't really give much variety, however if you have a half decent amp you can get some variety there. I mainly play hard/ alternative rock, and the bass is good for both of these. It's quite versatile so it can also do metal/slap and pretty much any genre. It's a good all purpose bass, very versatile. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the bass was good when I got it, over the years I've experimented with lower and raising it. I've settled on a relatively low action, it took a little bit of tinkering but there's no fret buzz at all. The only problem I've had with the bass was some loose wiring causing one of the pickups to cut out, simple problem to fix but irritating. Also the string guide snapped after only a few months, it was poory shaped anyway so I've replaced it with a better one. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played Live with this bass for a few years, but when I did it was perfect. No problems with it at all, played without a backup. I have had it quite a few years and there hardly any scratching on it at all, and that's with mw playing it almost everyday. I can't see it breaking anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: My first bass was a Squire P-Bass, which had way to many problems. Compared to that this bass is a dream, it's reliable and has a good variety of sounds, and can be used for any style. If it was lost I don't think I would get another one, I'm saving for something a bit more expensive. But as a first or second bass I would recomend it to anyone. Cheap but solid. // 8

Comments