GB-44 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 05/21/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Cort: GB-44
This second hand Cort bass guitar features a single active humbucker. 1 treble, 1 bass and 1 volume controls. This is a versatile guitar, good for any bassist; amateur or professional.
 6.5
 8.4
 4.6
 1,377
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
GB-44 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2008

Features: My Cort GB44 was made in Korea in 2002-2003. It has 22 frets on a 34 inch neck. The neck is kind of an oddity considering it is extremely fast playing but is much wider than any Precision bass I've ever played. The finish is just a laquer finish over an Orange honey color paint job.The electronics are passive and not of the best quality but it stands tall over any Squier bass, the pickup configuration on this bass is odd because rather than 2 jazz pickups on a jazz body it has a single humbucker in the bridge position on a standard jazz body. The hardware is decent quality for a beginner bass, I love the bridge because it is huge and gives amazing sustain. The controls on this bass are a volume knob, a bass boost and a treble boost.As far as I know the body wood of this bass is basswood. // 9

Sound: This bass suits my style of music well, I've used it to play my first show and will probably use it in another soon if I don't use my Ibanez instead.The styles I usually play covers almost every genre and this bass handles them all fine. This bass can be noisy at times but that is probably due to the fact that the bass was abused before I bought it and the fact that the electronics have probably been damaged over their 6 years of Live use. The sound is almost as odd as the bass, It's kind of like a Precision bass but it's way brighter and can give off awesome harmonics. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish isn't bad considering what the bass has been put through over the years it's been in use. I have an Ibanez SR300FM that was made in 2007 that has more damage to the finish than this bass does.The pickup was set perfect when I took it off the shelf in the store and the bass didn't have any flaws except the input jack was loose but that was easily fixed. I don't know what the setup from the factory was like because I bought this bass used, but I find Cort is good in doing a good job on the setup before their instruments leave the factory. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily withstand Live playing, if I didn't think it was able to I Probably wouldn't own it. The hardware has lasted this long but it seems it will soon give out, but I won't hesitate to replace it because besides being my favorite bass for sentimental reasons this bass is an awesome platform for modifications. The strap buttons can cause a bit of a problem but if you have a good strap it shouldn't be too bad, the neck tends to dive a bit because of it's size but with the right strap you'll be fine. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before I play almost every style of music, or anything I think sounds cool.I've been playing for two and a half years now and this was my first bass, I don't think I could've found a better starter bass. This is my only bass besides my Ibanez but even though my Ibanez is higher quality this bass is still taken into consideration before I play a gig. When I bought this Cort I had no previous experience, but now I've played it compared to fenders, Ibanez's, washburns, gibsons, and almost every other high-end bass I can think of; and believe it or not this bass can acctually stand up to a lot of them. // 9

Comments