EABC Playmate review by Dean

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Dean: EABC Playmate

Purchased from: used

My plan is to use the Dean EABC 5 during acoustic sets with my band and at church for liturgical accompaniment. Acoustically the Dean EABC 5 has very good tone and volume... certainly able to keep pace with unamplified acoustic guitars. The amplified tone was as weak as the models I tested at Guitar Center. But, because I was able to get a respectable tone after boosting and tweaking the amp, and being pleased at the intonation and neck feel, compared to the GC floor models, I bought it for what I felt was a good price. After getting it home I ran it through an effects pedal which allowed me to bring up the gain from the pickup and boost the low end, and then this baby really started getting me excited. The fret tap and string noise which is present through the standard EQ can be reduced substantially with additional preamp EQ adjustments, yet the acoustic resonance remains. My plan is to replace the passive EQ with an active unit, including an upgraded piezo pickup.

Change the stings and upgrade the EQ to active and you have an acoustic bass that can really put out some nice sound. But, again, let me remind you that the one I bought was used and made in about 2006. If it had played and felt like the floor models I tested at Guitar Center I would not have bought it. I don't know if Dean has dropped it's quality control process or what, but, if you are going to by one Brand New be sure to inspect it carefully for neck alignment, intonation and fret dressing. If any of these items are bad either convince the shop to fix them for free or pass on the deal. If you can find one with a straight neck, good intonation and plays comfortably, you will have a great sounding acoustic bass once you change the strings to bronze and upgrade to an active EQ. Even after those expenses you will still have a good sounding instrument at a bargain price.

The build is very sturdy. It is an acoustic, and would not take the thrashing that a solid body guitar would. Only a bottom strap button is installed. I added one on the heel of the neck. Hard to say how the satin finish will hold up. That's up to the amount of use/abuse it gets, I guess. I have no problem with the finish. This bass will be only one in my arsenal of basses and will not get the majority of my playing time, so I don't have a great concern about wearing it out.

The setup and action on the used EABC I bought used was spot-on. The new models at Guitar Center were not as well finished. The satin finish of the body and neck is good... preferred by some over glossy, and appearance is good. Remember, we're talking about an entry-level instrument here. But, having said that, the EABC really has some nice features such as body and neck binding and a nice rosette. The nickle-wound strings have to be replaced with bronze to get a fuller tone. The tuners are fine and everything fits together and holds a tuning well. The EABC is no work of ART but it does play, sound and look good for the price.

I have the 5-string version, used, circa 2006. Mahogany back and sides, a select Spruce top, 24 jumbo fret Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, sealed tuners, full size body with 18" lower bout and cutaway, 34" scale length, passive piezo pickup system with volume and tone sliders. The one I have was advertised in a local classified listing. Before going to look at the used one for sale I went to the local Guitar Center and checked out the acoustic basses they had. The 4-string version of the Dean was there, along with a number of much higher-priced acoustic basses costing upwards of $600. The high priced basses had very good tone and playability. The Dean had much less tone mostly because of the passive EQ, whereas the higher priced basses had active EQ. The new Deans (I tried a couple of the same model) did not have their frets dressed properly on the edges which produced a very uncomfortable playing condition. Also, the intonation on these two floor models were not very good. I left GC with low expectations of what I would find when I went to see the used EACB 5 listed in the classifieds. I was pleased to find that intonation on the used Dean was perfect, and the frets were dressed fine and produced no abrasion while playing. The EACB does not come with a case. Guitar Center had a "hard shell" available for about $150. Musician's Friend has a gig bag available for about $30. The EACB is v-e-r-y l-o-n-g. There are not many options for a case. If you are handy with wood working you could build your own.

TheMightyBooth
    Thrash_fire666 wrote: but seriously who wants to play bass, isn't evetybodies dream to be front and centre, not that guy on the 4 string.
    Ever dropped the bass line out of, say, a 4/5 piece band. Like bacon without the sizzle. Back to school with you!
    jxmxhx
    No, no it's not.
    randy.lapierre.
    As soon as i saw this 4 string bass in guitar center I wanted one. I needed a 5 string though. I searched and took a chance on this bass used, never played and it was a TOTAL WIN! I got the 5 string model. Once I got the one I bought to my guitar guy to have it set up this bass came to life! The body is JUMBO-what I have heard other companies call a "concert series" body-it's huge! Which makes for a huge sound not plugged in. It will keep up with standard 6 string acoustics not plugged in just fine. The passive pickups would be best suited to be replaced-on that it seems everyone agrees. I use an MXR Bass D.I. Box and can tweek the bass just fine. I also have a POD processor that I use on my electric basses and found a simple tone that concentrated on the bottom end and it is even better. A nice fishman or related pickup would do the trick. 3 bands of eq or more. Use a rubber sound hole cover when performing live plugged in otherwise you will get feedback. I love this thing & for the money you cannot beat the price. Mine came with a fitted hardshell case-that Dean does make for about $125-$150? I highly suggest getting one to protect it if you travel-due to the size this thing, it will get banged up. I am looking into getting the exact same model & making one a fretless too... I bought mine in 2013 and am very happy with my model. Only complaint-the passive pickup.
    SSaxdude
    it's a good sounding bass and cheap too, but the fretboard on my was cracking and had to be fixed. but it might have been my fault.
    trinaryoc
    I've had the EAB (without the cutout) since 2008, and I still love it. I never had the fret buzz that most people did with this kit. The electronics are, as they all say, pathetic. But it is LARGE. I had bought it to carry as a on-the-spot jamming bass, but the size really detracts from the portability. Highly advise you get some brass strings to replace the steel ones that come stock.
    Thrash_fire666
    Hey dudes my school just bout one of these for band class. and it sounds pretty damn good. but seriously who wants to play bass, isn't evetybodies dream to be front and centre, not that guy on the 4 string.