Edge 09 review by Dean

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Dean: Edge 09

This bass suits my style pretty well. it's good for the blues and rock that I play but I wouldn't reccomend it for funk or jazz, it's just not versiatle enough with the one pickup. I play it with a Line 6 LowDown Combo, and the sound out of it is very nice especially when clean and deep, it doesnt't sound to muddy. I also use it with the Synth and envelope filter built into the amp, which sounds pretty, good, however as stated above it would probably sound much funkier with a pickup in the bridge position.

I play blues and rock stuff like Zeppelin and Cream. It is good for that, sounds very cool clean or with a bit of overdrive. I've only been playing 11 months, and this bass is my first. I would reccomend it to any beginner Who is interested in this type of music. If it was stolen (I don't know why you would want to take it) I would probably use the opportunity to replace it with a nicer bass.

The finish and strap buttons are fine. Definately get a good case for it, the bag it came with had no padding at all. I dropped it while it was in this bag and damaged the neck pretty bad. Now I've got toothpicks in it to keep the bolt on neck from falling off. I certainly can depend on it because it's already been through a beating but pulled through. I don't see any need to gig this bass without a backup, seeing as a bass this inexpensive will usually be second or third in the lineup. If I had to though, I guess it would be fine.

Since I've gotten it the knobs have come a little loose. The input jack is also very loose, causing terrible feedback whenever the cable is jarred. No matter how many times I've tightened it, it still seems to come loose somehow. Out of the box the action was terribly high to the point that it could not be played above the 14th fret. I've ajusted it and the action is nice now, but there is a good amount of buzz from the frets. So far no problems with the truss rod, hopefully it stays that way. The bridge is also pretty bad I get buzzes sometimes when just playing open A's and G's. Last but not least I had to tighten the tuners pretty good. Out of the box they were nearly falling off.

This 2006 Dean Playmate Bass has 20 frets, a solid Basswood Body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Black Finish, a Passive Soapbar pickup, 1 Volume and 1 Tone knob. I'm giving it a 6 on features because of the limited versiatility of one pickup and one tone knob.