Edge 09 review by Dean

Dean: Edge 09

Purchased from: guitarcenter.com

The bass is not that versatile but it is good for my kind of music. I play in a metal/grunge sort of band, we do a lot of Nirvana and Metallica covers. I run this bass through my Fender Rumble 15 watt amp, and I use a Zoom b1x multi-effects pedal. This bass isn't very good for genres like country, funk, or things like that but I find it to be very good for metal or rock. It sounds great with some distortion, but also has a very good midrangey sort of clean tone. It buzzes on certain frets of certain strings, but not to bad.

I play metal, rock, and grunge. This bass is a perfect match as is with most Deans. I'm still a beginner. I've been playing for only a year. This is my only bass at the moment, but I'm hopefully about to get a Kramer bass soon. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy a new one but the memories would sadly be lost. I love the tone of this bass, it sounds amazing for only $160. It was my first bass and is a great beginner to intermediate bass. I'd compare it to some of the Ibanez GSR's, in which it pwns. The GSR's don't stand up to the Edge's at all. I've tried out different GSR's at music stores, and I much prefer my Dean Edge. Well, all in all you can't go wrong with this bass.

I feel that the hardware will probably last. The strap buttons have stayed on this thing. The only reason I would want to have another bass for a backup is to use for a different song for a different kind of sound. The paint has stayed on pretty well, but it seems to scratch easily.

Dean did a good job of setting this bass up for me. They strung it with some cheap strings, but that's easily fixed. Not really any flaws with the set up of this bass. The action is nice and kinda low. It's got a really nice black finish. I haven't had anything come apart or mess up yet, and I've had for about a year now.

The bass was made in china. It has 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, maple neck, basswood body, black finish, double cutaway, one volume and one tone control. One soap bar pickup. Dean gave me a cable to go with it, but it was a cheap one and didn't hold up for very long before it started to cut in and out.