Edge 09 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 05/16/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Dean: Edge 09
It has a bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard and a basswood body with mahogany top. It comes with chrome hardware and 1 soap bar style pickup. 22 frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.4
 Features: 6.8
 6.6
 6.2
 13,200
reviews (5) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Edge 09 Reviewed by: Ca1am1ty, on november 26, 2007

Features: I'm not too sure where or when it was made. It's got 22 frets, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard.The body is basswood with a mahogany top. Passive electronics, with a single volume knob and a single tone knob. There is one soapbar pickup in the middle position. It's got chrome hardware, with die cast non locking tuners. It didn't come with any accessories when I bought it. // 8

Sound: It suits my style of music fine, it's got kind of a smooth tone too it with the tone turned down all the way, good for softer styles of music. It gets kind of dirty sounding with the tone knob up, not too bad for metal. It has a bright sounding high end, and a pretty good low end. It doesn't really excel in one particular style, kind of an all around bass. I'm using it with a Delta 60 watt bass amp at the moment. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well when I bought it, the action was good no adjustments there, the pickups were adjusted well as well. The guitar's finish is well done, and is very durable. I have accidentally dropped it a couple of times, and there's not a scratch on it. The controls aren't loose or anything, the wood was a good quality, no flaws in the hardware except for the input jack. The washer and nut that keeps it held together twists loose. It's easy to fix if you can find the pieces when they've fallen off. This problem can be permanently fixed by taking it in to the store, or to a luthier, if you can't do it yourself. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does withstand Live playing, but make sure you tighten the input jack first. The hardware seems liek it will last a long time, and the strap buttons are good. I would gig without a backup with it if I couldn't bring a back up, but I would bring a back up just incase, because the input jack isn't that reliable. The finish won't wear off by the looks of it. // 7

Overall Impression: I play stuff like Metallica, Slayer, AC/DC. It's sometimes a bit tame for Slayer, but it's good for AC/DC. I love the finish on it, although it's a bit plain at times. If it were stolen lost, I would probably buy a different guitar, because I just like getting something different every once in awhile, but this guitar would definently be missed. I wish it had a 5th string though. // 8

Edge 09 Reviewed by: ryenzio1, on august 18, 2007

Features: This 2006 Dean Playmate Bass has 20 frets, a solid Basswood Body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, Black Finish, a Passive Soapbar pickup, 1 Volume and 1 Tone knob. I'm giving it a 6 on features because of the limited versiatility of one pickup and one tone knob. // 6

Sound: This bass suits my style pretty well. it's good for the blues and rock that I play but I wouldn't reccomend it for funk or jazz, it's just not versiatle enough with the one pickup. I play it with a Line 6 LowDown Combo, and the sound out of it is very nice especially when clean and deep, it doesnt't sound to muddy. I also use it with the Synth and envelope filter built into the amp, which sounds pretty, good, however as stated above it would probably sound much funkier with a pickup in the bridge position. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I've gotten it the knobs have come a little loose. The input jack is also very loose, causing terrible feedback whenever the cable is jarred. No matter how many times I've tightened it, it still seems to come loose somehow. Out of the box the action was terribly high to the point that it could not be played above the 14th fret. I've ajusted it and the action is nice now, but there is a good amount of buzz from the frets. So far no problems with the truss rod, hopefully it stays that way. The bridge is also pretty bad I get buzzes sometimes when just playing open A's and G's. Last but not least I had to tighten the tuners pretty good. Out of the box they were nearly falling off. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The finish and strap buttons are fine. Definately get a good case for it, the bag it came with had no padding at all. I dropped it while it was in this bag and damaged the neck pretty bad. Now I've got toothpicks in it to keep the bolt on neck from falling off. I certainly can depend on it because it's already been through a beating but pulled through. I don't see any need to gig this bass without a backup, seeing as a bass this inexpensive will usually be second or third in the lineup. If I had to though, I guess it would be fine. // 7

Overall Impression: I play blues and rock stuff like Zeppelin and Cream. It is good for that, sounds very cool clean or with a bit of overdrive. I've only been playing 11 months, and this bass is my first. I would reccomend it to any beginner Who is interested in this type of music. If it was stolen (I don't know why you would want to take it) I would probably use the opportunity to replace it with a nicer bass. // 7

Edge 09 Reviewed by: Cody_horton1, on may 14, 2007

Features: It was made in China. It has soap bar pickup witch I think is no were near enough. It has 22 frets and a rosewood fingerboard. Also it has one volume control and one toner control wich makes hardly any diffrence no matter how far you turn it. The tuners are just die-cast nothing special and the hardware is black. // 4

Sound: It doesn't suit me at all, I mean right after I turn it on it sounds crapy I normally play grunge but with this bass it is impossible to play anything. It is extremmly noisey, the E string rates agianst the fretboard and all the lower frets rattle too. I'm using my drum amp and I am still hardly able to hear it, my amp is turned up so loud with normal basses it would have blown already. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: You can call it set-up but the only thing that was good on it when I got it was that the strings were on it and it only has one pickup so there wasn't to much to adjust. Also the fretboard was not bent back enough so I had to adjust so it would't rattle as much. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I don't think it is very durable. After a month of playing it the output slot just fell apart so I had to put some elmers glue in the screw holes to hold it together. The strap buttons are fine. Also I don't think the finish is very good on it because I have only had it for three months and it has scratches all up it. Personaly I don't think this guitar is going to stand up much longer. // 3

Overall Impression: My over all impression is that I think I got ripped off and if it were stolen or lost I don't think I would do to much to find it. Also I think it did not compare good with other products like Ibanez basses or Gibson just to name a few. I've been playing for about a year and I'm also in a band. When I go to practice with my band I normaly don't even bring it I just leave it and play our lead singers bass wich is an Ibanez. // 4

Edge 09 Reviewed by: Shaggy076, on december 14, 2010

Purchased from: guitarcenter.com

Features: The bass was made in china. It has 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, maple neck, basswood body, black finish, double cutaway, one volume and one tone control. One soap bar pickup. Dean gave me a cable to go with it, but it was a cheap one and didn't hold up for very long before it started to cut in and out. // 7

Sound: The bass is not that versatile but it is good for my kind of music. I play in a metal/grunge sort of band, we do a lot of Nirvana and Metallica covers. I run this bass through my Fender Rumble 15 watt amp, and I use a Zoom b1x multi-effects pedal. This bass isn't very good for genres like country, funk, or things like that but I find it to be very good for metal or rock. It sounds great with some distortion, but also has a very good midrangey sort of clean tone. It buzzes on certain frets of certain strings, but not to bad. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Dean did a good job of setting this bass up for me. They strung it with some cheap strings, but that's easily fixed. Not really any flaws with the set up of this bass. The action is nice and kinda low. It's got a really nice black finish. I haven't had anything come apart or mess up yet, and I've had for about a year now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I feel that the hardware will probably last. The strap buttons have stayed on this thing. The only reason I would want to have another bass for a backup is to use for a different song for a different kind of sound. The paint has stayed on pretty well, but it seems to scratch easily. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock, and grunge. This bass is a perfect match as is with most Deans. I'm still a beginner. I've been playing for only a year. This is my only bass at the moment, but I'm hopefully about to get a Kramer bass soon. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy a new one but the memories would sadly be lost. I love the tone of this bass, it sounds amazing for only $160. It was my first bass and is a great beginner to intermediate bass. I'd compare it to some of the Ibanez GSR's, in which it pwns. The GSR's don't stand up to the Edge's at all. I've tried out different GSR's at music stores, and I much prefer my Dean Edge. Well, all in all you can't go wrong with this bass. // 9

Edge 09 Reviewed by: ThrashMetal014, on may 16, 2011

Features: Made sometime in 2010. 5 string that has a 2 octave neck that's fairly thin. Solid top body finished in black. Nothing fancy, and gets the job done. Really glossy and looks great on stage. Sort of an Ibanez style body and has a passive soap bar pickup. Standard Volume/Tone knobs. Stock Dean pickup and tuners. Didn't include anything extra with it, but that's no biggie. // 9

Sound: For metal, rock, and even blues this is a great bass. The soap bar pickup has sounded good through just about any amp I've played, and has plenty of low-end rumble. Not noisy at all, can be a bit bright on the higher strings. All in all, the sound is there. Good bass for effects use too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: They way it's set up now, it plays well. All routing and such is perfect. The low B rattles a bit, but most budget 5 string basses do. Action is lower than most, but doesn't buzz if you have it set up right. The strings are a bit close together, which makes slapping a bit different, but once you're used to it it's fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Pretty solid piece, all in all. I've gigged it before without a backup and it does just fine. Probably wouldn't stand up to heavy road use, though. Dependable, but certainly not a touring bass by any means. Strap buttons are in as tight as a drum, not loose at all. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, if you're beginning with a 5 string, this is an awesome bass for that. Also good for an experienced player like myself who wants a cheap bass that'll hold up. Favorite things about it are the look, sound, and playability of it. Cons to it would be the lesser quality building materials. Not crappy, but cheap. I'd say it's just as good as any Ibanez bass of the same value. If stolen, I'd more than likely buy another. // 9

Comments