Edge 1 review by Dean

Dean: Edge 1

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

The strat-style body is made from a lightweight basswood and has nice contouring for comfort and ease of playing. As with most guitars in this price range, the neck is maple with a rosewood fret board. Though this bass features an extended range with 24 frets, and the cutaway accommodates this extra length really well. The pickups are standard soap bar style, and they are pretty nice for stock pickups. Each pickup even has it's own volume knob along with a tone knob to help you shape the sound you are looking for. This bass comes alone with no added accessories, at least everywhere that I have seen it stocked.

With the individual pickup volume knobs, I've been able to find a very nicely balanced tone when playing. I've used it with old vintage amps, small practice amps, and large stacks with surprisingly consistent results. This bass has a nice bright sound to it that works really well with the styles I play (primarily pop-punk and rock), but with certain amps I've managed to get a really beefy tone as well. The sound resonates well for finger picking as well as using a pick. I've never been good with slap pop, so I can't vouch for that. But I can't imagine that this bass can't handle that as well. I used to play out regularly, and I've had guys with $300-$500 basses admire this bass. Overall, I love the sound this bass offers.

Other than a little bit of tuning, this bass was ready to play right out of the box. I've done some very minor tweaks to get it set up more the way I like, but I was impressed with the set up it arrived with. The only complaint I had with it was that a few frets were buzzy and needed to be filed down a tad, but in my experience that happens with most guitars. I bought this bass in "transparent amber," and it is just beautiful. It's more orange than it looked in the stock photos, but I actually liked that because it really draws the eye. When you're close to it you can see the wood grain rather clearly, and I think that's attractive. I get lots of compliments on the look of this bass.

After playing out with this bass for about 2 years, the jack started getting lose and the sound would cut out. This was frustrating, but an easy fix. It's been about 3 years since I've had that problem now. The tuners, bridge, and knobs have stayed in really good condition and they don't show any wear that I can see. This bass has taken a few beatings, nothing extreme, but it only has a couple of nicks in the finish. I try to keep it clean, and the finish and color are still very true to the day I first got it. I added a DiMarzio ClipLock strap on it, and the strap buttons have held up well. I had to repair it after the installation with some wood glue, but I can't say if that was a problem with the bass or user error. As you can tell, there is no pickguard, so on mine there is some scratches where a pickguard would be because I often use a pick. But you can't really see them unless you are really up close and in great lighting. Being a cheap bass, I was expecting more problems than I got.

I've been playing bass for about 12 years now, and I play a lot of rock, pop-punk, and occasionally hardcore and metal. This bass has been a good match for my style of playing. I also own a Schecter Raiden and both seem to be on equal ground. I actually prefer using the Dean Edge 1. I bought it because I was on a tight budget at the time and the bass I learned on was a loaner, and I'm really glad I made this purchase. For a cheap bass it really is a great deal and perfect of beginners and intermediate players. If you can't afford to spend much on a bass, I'd highly recommend this. I rate my overall impression at a 10 because at this price point, I haven't played anything that beats the Dean Edge 1.