Edge 1 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 08/03/2015 category: Bass Guitars
Dean: Edge 1
4-string bass featuring basswood body, bolt-on maple neck, 24 fret rosewood fingerboard with 34" scale length and 1 9/16" nut. Twin "soap bar" pickups with 1 x tone and 2 x volume controls.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 7.9
 8.4
 7.3
 3,517
reviews (3) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Edge 1 Reviewed by: Goddamnit, on may 13, 2005

Purchased from: Make Music

Features: - Trans red finish - Basswood body - 34" scale & 1-9/16" nut - Die Cast tuners - Chrome hardware - Soap bar pickups - Bolt-on maple neck - Rosewood fingerboard - Abalone dot inlays - 24 Frets - Passive electronics - Made in Korea - Came with Ritter gig bag. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was pretty good. got it set up in the store. Can't find any flaws. All the tuners and everything are all screwed in properly, only the jack socket has come a little loose in the last 6 months. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this bass is solid as a rock. It never goes out of tune, even having been inside a gig bag getting bashed around for hours, it still holds its tuning. I've gigged with it without backup a few times and its always been great. Never needed to tune up during a set with this one, unlike my jazz bass. Finish had not a scratch on it, despite me being very clumsy with it. // 10

Overall Impression: It's just a fantastic bass. Sounds great, feels great, looks cool. I'm playing Chili Peppers style basslines mainly. And I play through a tiny Fender Rumble 25 amp. I even prefer it to the Vintage Fender Jazz Bass I was using before. // 8

Edge 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2005

Purchased from: Robbie's Music Store

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the same bass that I had played with in the store, and it had only been there for a few days, so there wasn't anything wrong with it really. It was a little out of tune, but that was probably from the car ride home with it. One of the pickups was a little loose but it didn't really make a difference in the sound. Overall, it was a pretty good finish and the store did a good job of keeping it well-kept. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass is very durable. A couple days after I bought it, we decided to knock over my drummers drum set and my bass got knocked over accidentally. There was only a little cut in it, but it gives the bass character, as I like to say. The finish on the fret board seems decent but will probably wear off after awhile. It's a very dependable guitar but I would only play with it without a backup if I had to. Overall, a pretty rugid guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: This bass can play just about any style as long as it's not too farfetched. I've had this bass for about two months but I've been playing for about a year now. If I lost it then I'd probably go all out and buy something amazing, but I'd love to have it as a back up. I love how there's a volume control for each of the pickups, it gives me a good feeling of control. This is definitely a good choice for a 2nd bass or backup bass or what ever you want really. Thank you, Dean! // 8

Edge 1 Reviewed by: thecrimsondawn, on august 03, 2015

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: The strat-style body is made from a lightweight basswood and has nice contouring for comfort and ease of playing. As with most guitars in this price range, the neck is maple with a rosewood fret board. Though this bass features an extended range with 24 frets, and the cutaway accommodates this extra length really well. The pickups are standard soap bar style, and they are pretty nice for stock pickups. Each pickup even has it's own volume knob along with a tone knob to help you shape the sound you are looking for. This bass comes alone with no added accessories, at least everywhere that I have seen it stocked. // 8

Sound: With the individual pickup volume knobs, I've been able to find a very nicely balanced tone when playing. I've used it with old vintage amps, small practice amps, and large stacks with surprisingly consistent results. This bass has a nice bright sound to it that works really well with the styles I play (primarily pop-punk and rock), but with certain amps I've managed to get a really beefy tone as well. The sound resonates well for finger picking as well as using a pick. I've never been good with slap pop, so I can't vouch for that. But I can't imagine that this bass can't handle that as well. I used to play out regularly, and I've had guys with $300-$500 basses admire this bass. Overall, I love the sound this bass offers. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Other than a little bit of tuning, this bass was ready to play right out of the box. I've done some very minor tweaks to get it set up more the way I like, but I was impressed with the set up it arrived with. The only complaint I had with it was that a few frets were buzzy and needed to be filed down a tad, but in my experience that happens with most guitars. I bought this bass in "transparent amber," and it is just beautiful. It's more orange than it looked in the stock photos, but I actually liked that because it really draws the eye. When you're close to it you can see the wood grain rather clearly, and I think that's attractive. I get lots of compliments on the look of this bass. // 9

Reliability & Durability: After playing out with this bass for about 2 years, the jack started getting lose and the sound would cut out. This was frustrating, but an easy fix. It's been about 3 years since I've had that problem now. The tuners, bridge, and knobs have stayed in really good condition and they don't show any wear that I can see. This bass has taken a few beatings, nothing extreme, but it only has a couple of nicks in the finish. I try to keep it clean, and the finish and color are still very true to the day I first got it. I added a DiMarzio ClipLock strap on it, and the strap buttons have held up well. I had to repair it after the installation with some wood glue, but I can't say if that was a problem with the bass or user error. As you can tell, there is no pickguard, so on mine there is some scratches where a pickguard would be because I often use a pick. But you can't really see them unless you are really up close and in great lighting. Being a cheap bass, I was expecting more problems than I got. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing bass for about 12 years now, and I play a lot of rock, pop-punk, and occasionally hardcore and metal. This bass has been a good match for my style of playing. I also own a Schecter Raiden and both seem to be on equal ground. I actually prefer using the Dean Edge 1. I bought it because I was on a tight budget at the time and the bass I learned on was a loaner, and I'm really glad I made this purchase. For a cheap bass it really is a great deal and perfect of beginners and intermediate players. If you can't afford to spend much on a bass, I'd highly recommend this. I rate my overall impression at a 10 because at this price point, I haven't played anything that beats the Dean Edge 1. // 10

Comments