Edge Q4 Bartolini review by Dean

Dean: Edge Q4 Bartolini

Purchased from: Mike's Music

This guitar sounds absolutely fantastic especially with the Bartolinis. I play mainly rock, metal, and a little jazz, and it can pull off all of those with great sound. I play it through a Peavey Basic 112 75W amp and I can get almost any sound I need out of it. The only problem I've had is that the knobs are kind of hard to figure out, especially if you have to change the settings between songs. If you can get past that then this is an awesome sounding bass.

For what music I play I absolutely love this bass and it is a heckuva lot better than Squiers and Epiphones. The only thing wrong with it is that I did not buy it Brand New. If it was stolen/lost I would probably buy something different, not because the guitar is bad, but because I like to have new equipment. Overall, if you play bass in any genre, I would recommend this bass for you...

I have gigged with this on several occasions though no matter what happens I won't play without a backup. I have dropped it once and it seems to have withstood it; although I don't plan on dropping it any time soon. Most of the hardware seems solid and has made it through several live shows. I have never had any trouble with the strap buttons but I plan on buying some strap locks; which is always a good idea. The finish also seems very sturdy and I think it will last for quite a while.

When I got it, my guitar was set up very well. The action was nice and low, except the G string which was set too low and the lower frets couldn't hold any sustain; though that was an easy fix. Also the mid cut/boost pot is loose and needs adjusting every so often. That knob also emits a quite a bit of noise when cranked much past half.

The Dean Edge Q4 Bartolini was made in 2006 (I believe) in Korea. The maple and walnut neck has 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard. The basswood body has a beautiful quilted maple top and nice looking sunburst finish. I will admit, however, that the body shape is somewhat strange looking with the very long top arm and short bottom arm but it still looks good. The active Bartolini humbucking pickups sound great. It has a volume knob along with treble, mid, and low cut/boost. The Grover tuners are nice and keep the guitar in tune for a quite a while. But, because I bought mine used, it didn't include any accessories.

vek329
    that was my first bass... the memories, mainly of blisters and cramps in my fingers but still I had some good times with it. I guess its a good bass to start with, but when you get good you should just leave this in a rack somewhere and never touch it again.