Edge Q4 Bartolini Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 08/26/2009 category: Bass Guitars
Dean: Edge Q4 Bartolini
The Edge Q4 Bartolini starts with a lightweight Basswood body styled and contoured for comfort and capped with a striking Quilted Maple top. The maple neck is profiled to be faster and sleeker than virtually all others.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 7.9
 8.6
 7.1
 2,040
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Edge Q4 Bartolini Reviewed by: CharlieFoxtrot, on august 26, 2009

Purchased from: Mike's Music

Features: The Dean Edge Q4 Bartolini was made in 2006 (I believe) in Korea. The maple and walnut neck has 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard. The basswood body has a beautiful quilted maple top and nice looking sunburst finish. I will admit, however, that the body shape is somewhat strange looking with the very long top arm and short bottom arm but it still looks good. The active Bartolini humbucking pickups sound great. It has a volume knob along with treble, mid, and low cut/boost. The Grover tuners are nice and keep the guitar in tune for a quite a while. But, because I bought mine used, it didn't include any accessories. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds absolutely fantastic especially with the Bartolinis. I play mainly rock, metal, and a little jazz, and it can pull off all of those with great sound. I play it through a Peavey Basic 112 75W amp and I can get almost any sound I need out of it. The only problem I've had is that the knobs are kind of hard to figure out, especially if you have to change the settings between songs. If you can get past that then this is an awesome sounding bass. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, my guitar was set up very well. The action was nice and low, except the G string which was set too low and the lower frets couldn't hold any sustain; though that was an easy fix. Also the mid cut/boost pot is loose and needs adjusting every so often. That knob also emits a quite a bit of noise when cranked much past half. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this on several occasions though no matter what happens I won't play without a backup. I have dropped it once and it seems to have withstood it; although I don't plan on dropping it any time soon. Most of the hardware seems solid and has made it through several live shows. I have never had any trouble with the strap buttons but I plan on buying some strap locks; which is always a good idea. The finish also seems very sturdy and I think it will last for quite a while. // 9

Overall Impression: For what music I play I absolutely love this bass and it is a heckuva lot better than Squiers and Epiphones. The only thing wrong with it is that I did not buy it Brand New. If it was stolen/lost I would probably buy something different, not because the guitar is bad, but because I like to have new equipment. Overall, if you play bass in any genre, I would recommend this bass for you... // 8

Edge Q4 Bartolini Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2006

Features: It was made in Korea but don't hold that against it. It has a 24 fret rosewood and maple neck, which is quite thin and fast. The body is made out of basswood, light and good sounding. It's like a P-Bass shape with a longer top cutaway and shorter bottom cutaway. The bridge is a bit like a standard baddass. It has active Bartolini humbuckers. It has 1 volume, 1 treble cut/boost, 1 mid cut/boost and 1 low cut/boost. The tuners are grovers. // 9

Sound: I play trash metal and a bit of punk and it sounds great for both. I'm using a low quality 15 watt amp. Even on my crap amp it has a rich, quiet sound. It can achieve pretty much anything thanks to the excellent preamp. And those Bartolini pickups, you gotta love 'em. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came set up so I can't really comment because if there were any problems they were all taken care off and this thing is perfectly set up and put together. // 8

Reliability & Durability: From what I've experienced so far this bass will take live playing without batting an eye. Everything seems solid. The paint seems like it could be the one weak point, if you drop your bass down the stairs a lot. // 8

Overall Impression: I play trash metal, this bass works for that as thats the genre Dean is famous for making guitars for. I've been playing a short while and only possess an amp besides this. I would definately buy this buy again if it was lost or stolen, that is if I had the money because I'm kinda poor. I love everything, I hate nothing. A truly good bass. // 8

Comments