Edge Q6 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 01/12/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Dean: Edge Q6
You can't beat this bass for its combination of low price, superior quality, deluxe features, and excellent feel and finish. It has a beautiful quilted maple top on a basswood body, Grover tuners, 2 EMG-HZ pickups, active electronics, and a multi-ply, 35" scale neck with full access.
 6.6
 7.2
 5.9
 2,090
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Edge Q6 Reviewed by: Robb987123Bass, on january 12, 2008

Features: This bass is the real deal or at least it used to be. This 6-string bass is mostly good for it's finish and crowd appeal. It has active EMG-HZ pickups, which have since died within the year and a half of my owning it. However, while it lasted, the 3-band EQ for Bass, Mid and Treble was very good quality, and actually let you hear a difference in tone, unlike many other of today's basses. Of course, when buying a 6-string bass, there are a lot more things to think about. The first is the long neck width. At first, it was hard tog et used to, however the determined bassist will eventually fly up and down it with as much ease as any other bass. Also, the 24 frets are a hug plus when trying to form a solo and need that extra playability. Standard Dean-style tuners complement the bass, as well as it's black headstock. The quilted finished seemed very skillfully done, seeing as how the bass came from Korea. Also, take note that it came with no freebies or accessories. Overall, it gets a 7 because the pickups completely killed themselves within a year and a half of my owning it. // 7

Sound: The sound was alright for heavier stuff, and there's not too much fret noise unless you tune down, which you shouldn't even think about with a six-string. The tone, as stated before, gives you a full palette of sounds, and it can fit most styles of rock. I used mainly my Behringer BX1200, which somehow managed to squeeze out decent tone. Also, I used a synth, however it never sounded quite as good as it should be. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was set up perfectly upon arrival, and there were no problems with the bridge or neck. The pickups seemed to be positioned very well, also. The only flaw I could find is that it has the wrong name on the headstock. Instead of Edge Q6 (as shown) it has just Edge, and it misshapen slightly. Despite this flaw, the playability was almost dreamlike at times. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is where I had the most problem. In less than 2 years, the pickups on this bass have completely given out, and I don't feel like shelling out a pocketful of money to fix them, especially when I prefer 4-strings anyway. I never actually used the strap buttons, as I put straplocks on it the day I got it. Aside from the pickups, all the hardware is extremely durable and will most likely last a long time. Seeing as how I'm not fond of the bass, I would probably never use it live. // 6

Overall Impression: I mainly play rock, many variations. Funk and Jazz are also a large chunk of my playing, and I like to incorporate a lot of different techniques into genres they're not traditionally used it. This bass wasn't good at all for slap/pop style, and came out very sloppy. I've been playing for 4+ years now, and I can make a lot of basses sing the way I want them to, at least moderately. However, this bass just wasn't for me. I wish I had had the chance to use a 6-string before buying it. I love the EQ, as it is very dynamic, however the same EQ and active pickups died so I now hate active electronics forever. Were it to be lost/stolen, I would most likely not buy another one. Compared to my Squier P-Bass, this even doesn't come close to the tones I want for my personal style. I would most likely be more attracted to it, had it had passive pickuos. // 7

Comments