ML Metalman review by Dean

Dean: ML Metalman

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

This bass is made for metal. It may only have a single pickup, but it's fairly high output for being passive. This high output can make the bass fairly boomy and muddy at times. I use this amp with a Genz Benz 210 combo and a Ampeg SVT. Like I said, this bass is suited for rock and metal. If you need punchy mids, you are going to have to tweak your amp or buy and EQ for sure.

This bass just screams metal, and the sounds that you get from it fit here as well. I've been playing bass for over 10 years now and have owned quite a few other basses. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably buy the 2.0 version for the dual-active humbuckers. That version wasn't available when I bought this one. I love the shape of the bass, that is probably my favorite feature. It also features the V-shaped headstock and Dean wings.

This bass is built very rugged and stands up very well to Live playing. The hardware is all very tough. Like I said above, the strap buttons are very secure from the factory. I have used this bass many times Live without a backup. The finish seems to be holding up well, just a little belt buckle rash on the back and pick scrapes on the front. Typical wear for a guitar that is being played!

The bass was setup well from the factory. The all black finish and hardware make it a perfect metal bass. The only thing I don't like about this bass is how long it seems, it can get fairly uncomfortable when playing for long periods of time. Another thing I don't like is the huge screws on the strap buttons. I tried to put straplocks on it but the factory screws are way bigger than the ones with the straplocks... and the factory screws wont fit into the straplocks. The strap button on the back is located on the neck plate, so it keeps the bass fairly balanced.

I bought this bass a couple of years ago from Musicians Friend. It has a 22 fret bolt-on maple neck, with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is made from basswood I believe. This model is the 1.0 and features one passive humbucking soapbar pickup in the bridge position. There is also a 2.0 version that has two active pickups. This model has a single tone and single volume knob. All black hardware.

Peres.T.Peanut
    Id rather go with ibanez basses...they're very versatile and the sound is just amazing...Not that im dissing on this one, could be very good but I never tryed it.
    abel1389
    just don't get the standard case Dean makes for it. metal plating and ways at least four times as much as the bass at something like 75 pounds. my best friend plays this bass and we dread moving it anywhere.
    irtehstoopid
    im lookin for a bass and im wondering if the 2A or vintage ML is better than this one ebough to be worth 100 more whole dollars