ML Metalman Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 12/04/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Dean: ML Metalman
The Dean ML MetalMan Bass Guitar has a radical and aggressive look. Step away from traditional bass guitar designs and step up to a Dean MetalMan!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.6
 9.5
 7.6
 4,678
reviews (2) 22 comments vote for this gear:
ML Metalman Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 04, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I bought this bass a couple of years ago from Musicians Friend. It has a 22 fret bolt-on maple neck, with a rosewood fingerboard. The body is made from basswood I believe. This model is the 1.0 and features one passive humbucking soapbar pickup in the bridge position. There is also a 2.0 version that has two active pickups. This model has a single tone and single volume knob. All black hardware. // 8

Sound: This bass is made for metal. It may only have a single pickup, but it's fairly high output for being passive. This high output can make the bass fairly boomy and muddy at times. I use this amp with a Genz Benz 210 combo and a Ampeg SVT. Like I said, this bass is suited for rock and metal. If you need punchy mids, you are going to have to tweak your amp or buy and EQ for sure. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was setup well from the factory. The all black finish and hardware make it a perfect metal bass. The only thing I don't like about this bass is how long it seems, it can get fairly uncomfortable when playing for long periods of time. Another thing I don't like is the huge screws on the strap buttons. I tried to put straplocks on it but the factory screws are way bigger than the ones with the straplocks... and the factory screws wont fit into the straplocks. The strap button on the back is located on the neck plate, so it keeps the bass fairly balanced. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass is built very rugged and stands up very well to Live playing. The hardware is all very tough. Like I said above, the strap buttons are very secure from the factory. I have used this bass many times Live without a backup. The finish seems to be holding up well, just a little belt buckle rash on the back and pick scrapes on the front. Typical wear for a guitar that is being played! // 10

Overall Impression: This bass just screams metal, and the sounds that you get from it fit here as well. I've been playing bass for over 10 years now and have owned quite a few other basses. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably buy the 2.0 version for the dual-active humbuckers. That version wasn't available when I bought this one. I love the shape of the bass, that is probably my favorite feature. It also features the V-shaped headstock and Dean wings. // 9

ML Metalman Reviewed by: hhr, on july 31, 2007

Features: I've owned this bass for about a year now. I'm not sure when it was made or where, but it was still in the factory packaging when I received it. This bass has 22 frets and the body is made out of basswood. The maple neck is bolt-on and is very low profile. This particular model (this is the 1.0 version of this model) has 1 high-output soapbar-style humbucker pickup at the bridge position with passive electronics. One volume knob and one tone knob. However, the 2.0 version of this bass has 2 humbuckers and active EQ for about $100USD more (my brother has it and it has a lot more tone options than the 1.0). // 10

Sound: I play metal and rock music, and this bass is perfect. The humbucker is really close to the bridge and is in perfect position if you play with a pick (like I do while playing metal). I play through a Genz Benz amp/cab. I wouldn't recommend this guitar for any style of music other than rock or metal, because the tone options are pretty limited. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this bass is very fast! Perfect for metal playing. The pickup is very loud, but doesn't have many tone options available. The guitar is free of any flaws, and plays really well. But I must warn you, it is very hard on the shoulder and arms because it is pretty heavy and the body is long. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass is very rugged and can go through hell. All of the hardware is black in color and very solid. The strap buttons are also very solid, but poorly placed (it uses one of the neck plate bolts to hold the strap button) so I would advise getting some strap locks because straps do not like staying on the back button. I would definitely use this bass without a backup, it's probably my favorite bass I own. The finish is also very nice. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said above, this bass is a perfect match for a metal bassist, but not much else. I've been playing for 8 years and I own a couple other basses (Cort 6 string, Fender 5 string, Rogue fretless), but this is probably my favorite to play. I wish they would have had the 2.0 version of this bass out when I bought mine..because I would have definitely gone the extra $100 to buy that one instead. But like I said, for $200 this is a perfect metal bass. // 10

Comments