JB-302 review by Dimavery

• Reviewer's score: 2.2 Junky
Dimavery: JB-302

Price paid: € 129

Purchased from: Mainmusic

To begin, this is the worst piece of sh*t bass I've ever played. You've heard people cry about Stagg guitars, the same for Dimavery. In the beginning the bass kinda suited my style (funk/rock/jazz/reggae), it sounded nice with my Q-Tron and Line 6 amp, but after 2 months, slapping with the neck pickup on (in my opinion the best slap pickup) created a harsh PLWHPGPH with every pluck that destroyed the whole sound. A few weeks later this pickup also started making this sound if I played fingerstyle and played quite hard like you would do in a solo. The volume knob for the neck pickup makes noise when used. The overall sound is the sound of a normal fake jazz bass, nothing to get excited about but with a low output volume.

I have been playing for 2,5 years now I think, I have one Ibanez GSR-200L bass and a Squier Affinity series Strat. I don't think this bass would be stolen that quick because it has a pink shiny pickguard with a white body, it's quite heavy, has a made in China sticker on the back of the headstock, the tuning mechanism expludes when tuned without precautions, it's lefthanded and it doesn't have a bag that fit's. But, if it woul'd happen I would be mad because I would have lost 129 and 2 cans of pink nail polish but I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT buy it again.

I am quite worried about how long this bass will survive, buying a more expensive bass would have been a better option but what can you say, hard times eh? I have used it at gigs without backup simply because I don't have one (I do have a fretless but that's for other purposes). The finish however looks kind of ok, it does catch a lot of dirt but maybe this special Tsjernobil chemical mix in the coating does help to protect it.

When I ordered this bass, it already took 1 week longer than the company who sold it said it would take (1-4 days), but I still had to wait longer because the bass Dimavery sent to the selling company was broken so they had to send a new one and another week passed... As I just said above the pickups are bad, I'll have them replaced a.s.a.p. When I finally got the bass out of the box, I noticed the neck was un-treated/coated, rough and had splinters in it. After some sanding and having played it for a wile (which adds a grease/sweat cocktail from my hands) it now is kinda smooth and shiny. The tuning pegs are crap too, to tune my E string I need pliers to hold the wheel at the back of the neck otherwise the tuning mechanism explodes (it's no fun to discover that on a peaceful Sunday morning). The nut resembled a piece of white chocolate left in a 4y old's pocket on a HOT day. The body feels extremely square, maybe due to copyright they can't use the original shape so they chose an anti-ergonomic, big, heavy, Sov. Union shape. The control plate and pickguard don't match size where they get together. The strings I got with this bass are extremely bad, they sound like phone wire and have a low volume so I bought better strings. The bag I got with this bass is very thin, the strap for the bag (it only has 1) was broken after one day of non-hooligan treatment, the bag by the way is made for right handed basses, I ordered a lefthanded bass which doesn't fit in it unless you turn it around and even then it's almost too tight. The strap I got with this hardly fit's the straplocks on the bass.

- Construction: Bolt on - Body: Basswood - Neck: Maple - Fingerboard: Rosewood / 21 Frets - Pickups: 2 x J-Bass - Controls: 2 x Volume / 1 x Tone - Bridge: Classic JB-style - Hardware: Chrome - Colour: White - Incl.: guitar bag and strap - Incl. 1 cable, 1 set of strings and 1 set of picks

rv_phoenix
    Excellent review of a crappy instrument. However, there's one thing I don't understand: when you play on a decent bass guitar like the GSR-200L, why would someone pay anything on this crap? I mean Dimavery is arguably one of the worst brands on the planet, it doesn't worth even giving a try to an axe made by these guys: none of their models is at least decent. The results of such generosity are reviews like the one above: far cries of people who play well and are deeply disappointed by wasting their precious little money on firewood.
    legolas220
    rv_phoenix
    legolas220 wrote: I have a Dimavery stratocaster, i play five yrs guitar and the guitar really sucked. a year ago a friend and I customed the guitar (new wiring, special pickup switch and "special looks") and now its sounds great, it doesnt sound like a crappy starting guitar anymore.
    Yeah, but you've payed for the guitar one more time, if you add the cost of pickups, wiring, not to mention your work. And, unfortunately, not all Dimaverys can be modded: some are made in sheer plywood, so no modification could make them sound good. Other models, their Flying V for instance, have necks that bend like plastic, it's impossible to keep them tuned to pitch more than 5 minutes, and every day you need to re-adjust the truss-rod. Definitely, not a brand to consider, no matter how poor you are.
    legolas220
    no i know, but i got this guitar when i started, and the wiring and etc was from a friend who was building a guitar, so i didnt pay anything for the moddingxd