NG-2 Combustion review by Dingwall Guitars

Dingwall Guitars: NG-2 Combustion

Purchased from: Bass Direct

• Dingwall Canadian made FD3n pickups
  • Darkglass 3-band pre-amp (Bass, Low Mid, High Mid), active/passive switch
  • Rotary 4 way pickup selector bridge, both parallel, both series, neck)
  • Alder body - Ferrari Red Finish
  • Hipshot licensed tuners
  • Manufactured in China
  • Final set up at Dingwall Shop in Canada
  • •Weight 4.2kg/9lb 6oz

In a word; epic. Good tonal variety and the pickups sound very clear and articulate. My one small negative is that in passive mode, you can't get it massively fat sounding. One way that could be fixed is by moving the neck pickup to the standard Combustion position (the routing is still there under the pickguard), although that would alter the "Both Series" setting (the one on the switch next to "neck" position) which is my personal favourite.

The preamp is very versatile with a low/low mid/high mid setup. Some example tones I use are:
1. Both pickups in series, slight bass boost, slight low mid boost (Active).
2. Neck pickup, +50% bass boost, slight low mid boost, slight high cut (Active).

Out of the box, it was set up pretty much perfectly (although the action was a little low for me, quickly remedied by the included tools). The finish was flawless and everything looked good. I bought mine in Ferrari Red.  When it turned up and I took it out of the box was actually my very first time playing any fanned fret instrument, so I took a big gamble, but luckily it paid off - it's glorious!  The paint is very well finished. No blemishes to be seen anywhere.  The pickguard is also cut well and the screws are very straight.  Overall, the bass is very well made, very well set up and very well finished.

This bass is built to last. Since it has Hipshot hardware throughout, it's all very high quality. The finish is a little thin (I've chipped mine already), but it's a workhorse bass rather than something you buy just to look at. Eventually, I'll put Schaller Straplocks on it, but the stock strap buttons seem sturdy and I don't feel like it would fall. The neck is also incredibly stable, so even rapid temperature changes don't seem to affect it too much. Overall, all the parts feel sturdy and reliable. Definitely gigable.

I play many genres, but I bought this to be my go-to metal bass. I'd say that the NG2 accomplishes this very well. Because of the nature of the beast, this probably isn't the ideal bass for a 12-bar blues player, but it suits more aggressive genres nicely.

To answer the obligatory questions, I've been playing for around 8 years. I'm running this through my Ashdown rig with an ABM BP1510 (which reproduces the low notes very well) with a SansAmp RBI between the bass and head for added crunch. If it got stolen or lost, I would definitely immediately buy another one. One thing I wish it had was a third pickup like an AB5/3 for a little more variety, but as it is, I'm very happy with the tones. Overall, the Dingwall NG2 gets a solid 9/10 from me.

JimBonJovi
    I like the cat staring at the back of the couch in the video still. Mine does that too. Strangely. Superb bass by the way.
    moosebreath
    I just bought a 1 year old NG2 and I am very happy with it. More than happy actually. I have a 10 year old AB2 that is beyond awesome but the NG2 is a bit more pointed with, I guess, more bite and doesn't get lost at all in the mix at a gig.The other band guys have made comments that they can hear it a bit clearer. Absolutely the finest basses I have ever played.