Wildfire review by Drive

Drive: Wildfire

Purchased from: Axis music

I play death metal, and this bass sounds decent for that. Really, you can get a pretty good variety of sounds out of it with the included amp. There is a little fret buzz, but I'm noticing this after about 3 years of playing it. Basically, the bass is good for a lot of styles but it isn't perfect.

The bass gives me the sound I want, but that's about it. I've played guitar for almost 9 years and bass for about 4, and this bass has worked pretty well for me, even when I started playing primarily bass. If it were lost/stolen, I would upgrade if I had the money. I like the body style and the neck scale, and the bridge and tuners are solid. I don't like the pickups a lot, but those can always be replaced. The Drive Wildfire is a good bass to start off with or a good bass to use as a backup, but experienced players should go with something else.

I would say its about average with durability, and the finish is great. There's a minor crack in the headstock of my bass, which doesn't affect tone or tuning. The bridge and tuners feel pretty sturdy, but the pickups (as with most entry-level basses) feel a bit flimsy. I would use it at a gig without a backup.

The factory setup was good, and the action was nice. The pickups were adjusted well, and everything was installed properly. No flaws that I could see with the bass. The amp held up pretty well, but the cord broke after a few weeks of use. The gig bag feels pretty good, unlike the cheap nylon ones you get with a lot of bass packages like this.

The Drive Wildfire bass (there's a guitar version too) is a pretty simple 4-string, short-scale bass guitar produced somewhere in Asia. The woods used in the bass aren't too bad, and the finish is good but it absorbs fingerprints pretty easily. The body is a basic double cutaway, except that the upper cutaway bends sharply, which looks pretty cool. There is one P-Bass style pickup, which delivers an "ok" bland sound. The bass came in a beginner pack with a strap, gig bag, some picks, and amp, and a cord.