Wildfire Review

manufacturer: Drive date: 07/31/2009 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Drive: Wildfire
The Drive Wildfire bass is a pretty simple 4-string, short-scale bass guitar produced somewhere in Asia.
 7.6
 7.6
 7.5
 3,427
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Wildfire Reviewed by: cal1, on july 31, 2009

Purchased from: Axis music

Features: The Drive Wildfire bass (there's a guitar version too) is a pretty simple 4-string, short-scale bass guitar produced somewhere in Asia. The woods used in the bass aren't too bad, and the finish is good but it absorbs fingerprints pretty easily. The body is a basic double cutaway, except that the upper cutaway bends sharply, which looks pretty cool. There is one P-Bass style pickup, which delivers an "ok" bland sound. The bass came in a beginner pack with a strap, gig bag, some picks, and amp, and a cord. // 7

Sound: I play death metal, and this bass sounds decent for that. Really, you can get a pretty good variety of sounds out of it with the included amp. There is a little fret buzz, but I'm noticing this after about 3 years of playing it. Basically, the bass is good for a lot of styles but it isn't perfect. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was good, and the action was nice. The pickups were adjusted well, and everything was installed properly. No flaws that I could see with the bass. The amp held up pretty well, but the cord broke after a few weeks of use. The gig bag feels pretty good, unlike the cheap nylon ones you get with a lot of bass packages like this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would say its about average with durability, and the finish is great. There's a minor crack in the headstock of my bass, which doesn't affect tone or tuning. The bridge and tuners feel pretty sturdy, but the pickups (as with most entry-level basses) feel a bit flimsy. I would use it at a gig without a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: The bass gives me the sound I want, but that's about it. I've played guitar for almost 9 years and bass for about 4, and this bass has worked pretty well for me, even when I started playing primarily bass. If it were lost/stolen, I would upgrade if I had the money. I like the body style and the neck scale, and the bridge and tuners are solid. I don't like the pickups a lot, but those can always be replaced. The Drive Wildfire is a good bass to start off with or a good bass to use as a backup, but experienced players should go with something else. // 8

Comments