PK40 review by Encore

Encore: PK40

I bought this bass half a year ago to start playing. My bass has a considerably clean and warm, but still very low sound. I use it with a Hiwatt Hurricane (small, yet has enough power for "bedroom sessions") and a Zoom B2 effects pedal, to achieve my desired sound. Without the B2, the guitar sounds great, but not versatile enough. I play many different types of music, from rock to funk to grindcore. It has a very good tone for such a small price.

It is reletevly good for any style (If you are just starting out). I've been playing it for half a year now, and the button strap is the only thing that failed. I play it with a Hiwatt Hurricane and a Zoom B2. From my other options, this was the best bass for the money. If it were stolen, I would not buy it again. It was just for learning. Overall, it deserves nothing more than a 7, just because it's a trainee bass, but good for the price.

The body is rugged enough to take the beating of a anxious newbe. Well, from what I see, this bass is not for live playing. First of all, have you ever seen somebody perform professionally with a 125 euro guitar? I thought so. This guitar is solely for learning purposes only. The strap buttons failed after a month, but a quick fix was all it needed. As I said in the sound section, it is not versatile enough on it's own, to achieve a sound worthy of a good bass player. I bought it solely to learn the basic stuff. Just because this bass took the beating of usage, it deserves a 10, but the failed button strap made me angry.

Pickups were great, had very little noise. The action was a little bit too low, but the fret markers got grinded away so fast, that I didn`t need to adjust that.

20 frets, 4 strings, 1 tone, 1 volume controls. It was in a big cardboard box, witch screamed "hey, I was a tree once". The box was really big for a relevantly small instrument and apart from the guitar, it only had paper work for the warranty, a newbie guide (which mainly talked about the classical guitar, and only a few sentences about bass). When I got it, it was already in good tune and had very decent strings on it, but they were too soft for me.

TONE DEFFMAN
    Hmm .... or a Peavey. Price wise, these Encores are great fun. Pound for pound it's worth its weight in gold. As your comparing it to , like prev bloke said no-named brands..A GOOD START but NOT A GOOD STRAT {;op
    syngates17
    i have one of these its my first bass and i am quite happy with it i recommend it too everyone starting new ive been playing for 3 months now and never had a single problem with it
    Duncas
    i started learning bass on one of these, its extremally tough, keeps its tune well and for the price is exceptional!
    evileenz
    I bought this bass for 70 quid and it is worth the money.(I wouldn't pay more for it) but after playing a rickenbacker copy I think the neck on these bass are rubbish, if you can get good playing one of these then you will feel the difference when you upgrade to something better