1958 Flying V Bass review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1958 Flying V Bass

Purchased from: aire guitars - ebay

I play everything from Slipknot to Rancid, and it works with all styles. I'm not sure it would be very good for funk or slap cos of the shorter scale. I have been playing for about 9 months, I own a 3/4 size Jim Deacon P Bass. If it was stolen, I would definately save up for a new one. I love the hardware and the shape, it looks so cool. I also love the deep tone, I can't wait to try it with a new amp and some pedals. I chose this bass for one main reason - the scale of it. I'm female and I find playing full scale basses impossible, I've been looking for a decent bass for ages that wasn't shaped like a love heart or a daisy, it's hard enough getting taken seriously! I would definately recommend this bass to girls, it's so far the best thing I have ever played, and everyone I know thinks it is cool.

I havent had the chance to play it live yet but I play a lot so it seems like it will survive. The hardware seriously looks unbreakable, and gold looks so stylish. The bridge is a very cool design! It came with the top strap button round the back instead of on top of the body like the old V's, so I havent had to have that moved. I would use it without a backup-i would have to my other bass is broken. The only problem with the finish is that it is very hard to keep clean, but it doesnt scratch easily, so can't complain.

I've had the bass for a couple of months now and I havent had to adjust the action at all, I'm guessing it was set up at the shop. I've had no problems at all. Not a buzz across the whole board. No flaws at all, so far anyway, everything properly aligned and in its correct place.

It has 21 frets, the scale of the neck is 30.5" (short scale) nut width 1.65". The neck is maple, fretboard is rosewood, body is korina, making it very lightweight, I was shocked when I first picked it up. body style, well, it's v shaped, what more can I say? I have no idea what make the tuners or pickups are. I got a free lead with it, and an alan key.