1958 Flying V Bass Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 12/22/2005 category: Bass Guitars
Epiphone: 1958 Flying V Bass
1958 Flying-V Bass with gold hardware, maple neck, 2 humbucking pickups and loads of vintage style.
 Features: 9.5
 8.7
 9.6
 7.7
 5,006
reviews (4) 18 comments vote for this gear:
1958 Flying V Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2005

Purchased from: Let's Jam (Local Merchant)

Features: - It was made in '58 - Made in the USA - 21 frets - 30.5 scale neck - Korina body - Black finish - V shape - The original bridge I'm not sure. I didn't like it - Passive electronics - 2 volume, 1 tone, 3 way toggle - Dual humbuckers - Locking tuners (originally). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setting was good. Not to how I like it, but I adjusted that no problenm. The pickups were nicely set, but I moved them to suit me. Flawless bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the pleasure of playing live yet, but it withstands the playing I do at home with a smile. The hardware seemed solid, but I have since removed the bridge, tuners, knobs, and replaced the toggle with all black parts to better suit my needs. The buttons were soild, but I put schaller strap locks on all my basses. I would sell my other 3 basses and just keep this one, thats how dependable it is. I've dropped it, its fallen off the stand, and still plays like perfection. The finish is very solid. It will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal. This is to metal what water is to life. It is a perfect fit. I been playing for over 2 years now. I own this bass. The effects and amp listed above, as well as Squire P-Bass, a Squier MB-4 with skull and crossbones, and a Squier MB-5. The V is my favorite out of them all. If it were stole, I would sell my other 3 basses and buy another one without looking back. I love the shape, the design. I love how it feels like I'm playing a rocket or a large dart or arrow. I hate when I sit and play how awkward it is to hold it. That's when I go to the P-Bass. My all time favorite feature is the V body. Absolutely. I compared it to the BC Rich version of the V. I chose this one because of the Epiphone name. And the price. I wish it had a free money dispenser. When I say in previous parts about the original tuners and bridge, I mean pre-customization. What I did was made a new black pickguard, soldered a new black toggle in, and put on new black tuners. The speed knobs are replaced with barrel knobs, and the bridge is similar to the P-Bass style. To original bridge was a bitch to adjust the intonation and accurately do the string height. // 10

1958 Flying V Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2005

Features: Bass was made in Korea in 2002 or 2003. It is a short scale bass (30.5" scale) with 21 frets. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard, body is made out of Korina wood. Neck is set, not bolted. I have no clue what the pickups are, but the bass has two big humbuckers, two volume control knobs and one tone control, one three-way selector switch. Finish is black with a white pick guard. Back of the neck is also painted black. The body is shaped exactly like the Gibson Flying V guitar, a bass version of which originally never existed. // 10

Sound: I play mostly classic heavy metal and hard rock, sometimes a little bit of black metal and progressive stuff. This bass suits all styles well, if you know how to use it. I use a small no-name 20 watt amp for practising. The sound on that one isn't too great, which is mainly the amp's fault and has nothing to do with the bass. The output of both pickups is very high, so the small amp starts distorting by itself at pretty low volume already. On the 100 watt Behringer amp I use for gigs, this bass sounds great, no distortion if you don't want it. The tone is full and rich, very bass oriented on the neck pickup and very crisp and clear on when using the bridge pickup. Like most short scale basses, the attack isn't very sharp, but more about that issue later. Mixing of both is possible, usually I prefer using each pickup by its own though. Due to the very high output, the pickups produce a bit of a hum sometimes, which is tolerable considering the good overall performance of the bass. When using distortion, I usually turn the volume down a little to get a better tone. Both pickups work great for distortion, the tone can be varied easily by using the controls without having to mess around with amp settings. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was great, the pickups were adjusted perfectly. Finish is very durable, although it is a pain to keep clean. There were only two major negative things about this bass. One is the noisy pickups selector, which I fixed, and theother one was the fretboard, which did not look very good when I got it. Looked like it had been lying around for years in a very dry room. I used some furniture oil to polish it, it still doesn't look great, but better. Feels good, though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass is rock solid, it took some severe beatings without even going out of tune! I dropped it because my strap broke, I fell over on stage with it, it fell over when standing leaned against walls or an amp severyl times. The only thing that happened was that the screws on the neck pickup got a little loose and a little chunk of wood broke off on the back side when I dropped it on concrete. Finish is very, very hard to scratch, except for the little thing on the back side, my bass doesn't have any scratches at all. This is my only bass, as I do not have enough money for a backup, but I probably wouldn't need one anyway. I played entire gigs on this bass without having to retune more than once. Nthing ever broke, except my guitar cable. // 10

Overall Impression: As said, I mostly play metal. The problem is that a short scale bass like this one usually doesn't sound sharp enough for that. I chnaged that with a set of super heavy strings (you wouldn't want to know how heavy), which made it a little harder to play (a very playable bass with normal gauge strings this is), but the sound I get now is unbelievable. Of course, the truss rod had to be adjusted for that. I also tried to play some jazz, and I got the impression that this bass is suitable for almost anything, except very fast slypping stuff maybe. Tapping sounds great on it. I scalloped the upper frets for easire bending, which is very useful for some of the more extreme solos. I have only been playing bass for a little more than two years and own some obscure Soviet electric guitar I'm restoring at the moment as well as a '50s acoustic jazz guitar. The greatest benefit to me is that this bass is very light, I am a singer who plays bass at the same time, and this is the ideal singer's bass. A super heavy instrument would get my body tension screwed up and hurt my voice. All in all, this is a very good instrument, not the best maybe (disadvantaged because of the short scale sound, old fretboard), but it would be hard to find a bass better than this one at a price below J1000. // 9

1958 Flying V Bass Reviewed by: BLiNK BoY, on june 24, 2004

Features: It has 2 hb pickups, 2 volume , 2 tone , 3-way toggle controls, has gold hardware, running a 30.5" scale, 1.65" nut width, set neck joint, mahogany neck, rosewood/dot fret board, binding on the body and neck. No accessories included. 21 frets. Body styling is just like the Gibson Flying V Guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was awesome besides the buzzing action, but that can be fixed easily at your local guitar shop by using a allen wrench. The pickups were setup completely correct for the music I use it in, but that can be fixed as well. the only flaw I found is that Epiphone could have used a better material for the body. The korina body is alright but I would of prefer mahogany. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Relisbility and durability on this guitar is soo awesome. The hardware will last for quiet awhile and it has a good old vintage color, gold. I would say the finish is not a good as I would thought it would be, it will scratch if dropped or if your pick comes into alot of contact with the body. Button strap wouldn't strip, only if forced. And this bass is a pleaser and yes I would use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: The music I play is punk and metal, its like the perfect match for that kind of music. I have been playing bass now for about 3 years and guitar for 6 years. I wish I could of found the Gibson model over this but either way I'm pleased. If I would lose it, I'd be bummed, but I would replace it in a heart beat. If I would compare this to another bass it would be the Epiphone thunderbird, but in the long run the v bass would win it in performance and looks. I chose this bass on the look and the tone it has. // 10

1958 Flying V Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Purchased from: aire guitars - ebay

Features: It has 21 frets, the scale of the neck is 30.5" (short scale) nut width 1.65". The neck is maple, fretboard is rosewood, body is korina, making it very lightweight, I was shocked when I first picked it up. body style, well, it's v shaped, what more can I say? I have no idea what make the tuners or pickups are. I got a free lead with it, and an alan key. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had the bass for a couple of months now and I havent had to adjust the action at all, I'm guessing it was set up at the shop. I've had no problems at all. Not a buzz across the whole board. No flaws at all, so far anyway, everything properly aligned and in its correct place. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I havent had the chance to play it live yet but I play a lot so it seems like it will survive. The hardware seriously looks unbreakable, and gold looks so stylish. The bridge is a very cool design! It came with the top strap button round the back instead of on top of the body like the old V's, so I havent had to have that moved. I would use it without a backup-i would have to my other bass is broken. The only problem with the finish is that it is very hard to keep clean, but it doesnt scratch easily, so can't complain. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from Slipknot to Rancid, and it works with all styles. I'm not sure it would be very good for funk or slap cos of the shorter scale. I have been playing for about 9 months, I own a 3/4 size Jim Deacon P Bass. If it was stolen, I would definately save up for a new one. I love the hardware and the shape, it looks so cool. I also love the deep tone, I can't wait to try it with a new amp and some pedals. I chose this bass for one main reason - the scale of it. I'm female and I find playing full scale basses impossible, I've been looking for a decent bass for ages that wasn't shaped like a love heart or a daisy, it's hard enough getting taken seriously! I would definately recommend this bass to girls, it's so far the best thing I have ever played, and everyone I know thinks it is cool. // 10

Comments