EB-0 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Epiphone: EB-0

This was my first bass and I play a wide variety of styles ranging from Metallica to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. This bass could easily recreate the Red Hot Chilli's sound with a bit of tweaking, but no matter how much I tweaked the amp and guitar I couldn't really get a good heavy sound. I'm running it straight into a Peavey 10watt transtube without any effects and it sounds pretty nice for lighter rock and anything up to The Who as it produces quite a bright sound.

I play anything based around rock on this bass and I feel that it is not a good match for the heavier/darker side of rock. I started on this bass and have been playing for one year, I feel that it is not a great starter bass and would recommend a Squier or an Ibanez to a beginner. I wish I had tried this before buying but no nearby shops stocked it so I ended up purchasing online without trying. I love the neck and the SG style but hate the neck dive as soon as you let go of it. If it were lost or stolen I would probably purchase an Ibanez GSR 200 as I feel it fits my music choice better.

I believe this guitar would withstand live playing although I have not played bass Live yet, if I were to play it Live I would defenatly move the strap button to eliminate the neck dive, the hardware does seem it would last a good 3 years if treated with respect. The finish is thick and takes a lot of abuse from my heavy hand and is getting slightly blemished.

As soon as I received the bass I swapped out the strings to my preferred gauge, the action was a little high for me but I never bothered raising it. Everything seemed pretty stable except from the pickguard which felt flimsy as if it had no support underneath. Soon after receiving this bass the input jack came loose, no big problem as I screwed it back in and it has not come loose since. The neck was straight and the hardware was stable. The strap button was not well placed and the strap kept on falling off which ended in me purchasing strap locks, also there is major neck dive which I guess is standard for most SG's anyway.

This bass is based on the popular SG style and was made in mid-2004, Made in China of basswood. The Epiphone EB-0 has one humbucker at the neck position which provides a nice mellow sound. This bass features a 30" scale neck which contributes to this bass being a short scale bass and a rosewood fingerboard. The neck and body are finished in ebony which does not easily chip and is still as good as new (minus belt-buckle rash. It has One volume control and one bass control. The bass came with a 1 meter cable which didn't work.