EB-0 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Epiphone: EB-0

It suited my style of music just fine (Hard rock, psychedelic, blues-rock, 'classic' rock, '70s metal & thrash metal), didn't really like the sound of it though, I found it was lacking in the tone department, but whatever. This bass is definately not the sound I'm looking for.

So I've been playing bass for like 3 years now, this was my second bass, my first one was also a short scale bass. I wouldn't buy it again, overall, I didn't really like it. When I went back to where I bought it to get the tone pot fixed, I ended up trading it (and it's case and a Morley Wah) in for a used Epiphone bass, and this new one seems to be a good bass. Although since I've only played short scale ('30) basses, and this new one is not ('34) It's really weird playing something so much longer and I have to like, completely change the way I play, which is okay, because change is usually good (like changing basses), but I've only had it like 3 days so I won't do a review quite yet.

This bass could probably handle a Live setting, I never used the bass live, because I'm kinda in between bands right now, but I never had a problem with the strap buttons, the finish looked like it would last, but after what happened with the tone pot, I would say the hardware wouldn't, which is for that reason, I would gig with a backup.

It was set-up alright from the factory, the action was a bit high, but after like a day, I noticed the nut was pretty sharp and poorly made, and the tone pot fell out after like a month, (warranty covered it though). One thing I did really like, was that the jack never came loose, in the past I've had that problem, but not with this!

It was probably made in 2006 or 2007, I bought it December 1, 2007. Bought it new, can't remember where it was made. Short scale, '30 neck, rosewood fingerboard, SG styled body, nice cherry finish with a Black pickguard, which had a chip in it when I took it out of the box, I called to where I bought and said I could get a free replacement pickguard, which was nice, but it slipped my mind to get it when I went back there (Only go there like once a month, different cities and it's like an hour & a half away, or sometimes just under an hour). It had one huge Humbucker in the neck position, just 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob, the tuners were awesome, never had a problem staying in tune. In the box it came with an Allen wrench, for adjusting the Truss Rod, and a right angle cable, I eventually got a case for it. Overall pretty basic & simple features, but you get what you pay for.

Izdigger
    BreakingTheGirl wrote: Seems to me liks epi basses are kind of notorious for being top heavy.
    The Thunderbird and the EBs are, at least, but they're Gibson design.
    AngelOfHatred wrote: I personally hate all Epi and Gibson basses, Fender basses are a much better decision.
    I've got a Squier (yeah, not Fender, but hold on) and an Epi, and I've got to say I prefer the Epi, also when comparing with Fender basses. I play with a pick however, and hate slapping
    Darkkon
    hah i have an epi bass at my house at the moment.. and i must say it sounds pretty damn fine to me. playing live with it was fine too. i dunno about this bass though.. looks pretty ewy