EB-0 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EB-0

Purchased from: Ebay

I am glad I did not take any of the advice from the various Bass forums out there. They all spoke so poorly about this bass. I even saw one individual define this bass as the worst production bass ever!? He obviously hasn't the slightest idea what he is talking about but, I digress... This is a great little bass. Great for a beginner and even for a professional. The neck is nice and thin and straight as an arrow. The bass is a little on the heavy side but some may prefer that. It is not the most versatile bass in terms of tonal options but, if you are looking for a nice "thump" and great playability... You cannot miss with the Epiphone EB-0. I cannot vouch for the Indonesian or Chinese models but the Korean model I have is top-notch. Crank the tone to 10, the volume to 10 and just play it! It is a fun bass that will get the job done and then some. I am a professional luthier/musician. I recommend this bass to anyone interested in a short scale bass. For the price, you can't miss.

Great bass at an even better price point. These are cheap to buy but not necessarily cheaply made. My advice: Steer clear of the forums that are filled with all the guitar snobs that have nothing better to do than gripe about current manufacturers and pine for the old days. The US makes just as much crap as China does. I challenge you to find a USA made regular production Gibson and see if you can justify the additional $900+ dollars you will have to spend to get the "Gibson" decal and Made In USA stamp. This Epiphone EB-0 can stand it's ground against any modern Gibson EB-0 made today. I look at it this way. I have $1300.00 and you have $1300.00. I spend $200.00 on my Epiphone. You spend $1300.00 on your Gibson. I play a show and you play a show. Afterwards, the girls come to see us. Your flat broke but, you have a Gibson Bass. I have $1100.00 and my Epiphone Bass. She's gonna go home with me. Period. That flat broke/starving artist stuff gets old fast and she knows it. I can play AND I can afford to have a good time and treat her to a fun night... You decide... This is why we play music in the first place. For the chicks!

You have got to take care of anything you own. It is a durable instrument. Maybe not "hydrogen bomb" durable... But, what is? This guitar can take a good amount of abuse as can most bolt on neck guitars. Be careful not to break off the headstock. The Epiphone/Gibson headstock angle is notorious for snapping when dropped the right way. Overall, reliable and durable.

Every instrument needs a setup... Period. Imports and Domestic instruments alike. Most music stores don't bother with a good set-up or have some idiot 20-something that "knows too much" about guitars to do any guitar justice... Do it yourself (it's not that hard)or go to a good trusty luthier/tech. Ask for some credentials! This is a very simple guitar. There is nothing to adjust but the string height and possible the neck relief or neck angle. Being a bolt on neck, there is alot of freedom to get this thing chimed in. I couldn't find anything worth mentioning. It was $128.50 Used. A little bit of TLC, polish and know how and its a perfect bass. A good setup can make or break an instrument.

- Manufactured appx. 1998 - Made in Korea - Scale Length 30.5" (Short Scale) - Mahogany Body/Bolt-on-Mahogany Neck - Ebony Finish - 3 Point Bridge w/tuneomatic saddles - Single Passive EB-0 "Sidewinder" Neck Humbucking Pickup - 1 Volume/1 Tone - Imported "Grover" style shamrock tuners

cunthooks
    I have 4 basses and I love them all. A German made Hofner, a Fender precision (which I gig with) an SG Gibson and an Epiphone EB0. Whenever I'm at home and feel the urge to play guess which bass I almost always pick up. Yes the Epi. It's a great bass to play and the sound suits me also. Anyone who says they're crap are talking out there ass. I don't take sides with guitar brands the way people support their favourite football team. I go on what the guitar has to offer and these babies have a lot to offer.
    djBeWilmingtnNC
    Personally, I like the look of an SG-styled bass. The gloss cherry over visible grain, if its SG-400 level quality, would certainly be a huge plus. And in a world where everyone has P-bass type guitars, an unusual, but iconic, design for a bass would be very intriguing onstage. Hard enough for bassists to stand out as it is, common looking basses just make them more invisible LOL. Three-quarter size makes it a nice choice for guitar players needing a bass for songwriting or the occassional jam. Certainly a fair choice vs. squier bullet bass. That said, I'd look for for the EB-3 model over this for the added quality and versatility of two pups, two vol, two tone.
    Rickholly74
    I personally use this bass for recording in my home studio through a tube pre-amp and it sounds very good. I am a guitar/keyboard player and got tired of the digitally sampled bass sounds I was using on my keyboards. This bass works well for my needs. I am sure a pro bass player would judge differently or someone playing live with it will have different needs but as a nice fill for my home studio work, I can't complain. Nice and clean with decent sound and bottom.