EB-3 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EB-3

The two humbuckers do a great job. With the three way Switch and the two volume and two tone knobs you can dial in your sound. I play mostly contemporary christian music, however I also play around with rock. This bass does the job no matter what I'm playing and what style I'm using. I play it through both an Ampeg (SVT & BA15) and Acoustic (200 watts through 4 10's and 1 15) and the sound is excellent.

I'm and old rock-and-roller and today I play mostly contemporary christian music. The bass can handle any style with ease. I've been playing for over 40 years and consider myself well versed on guitars. I have several Gibsons, Fenders, Gretch, Epiphone, Oscar Schmidt, Applause, Ovation, Mitchell, and a 43 year old Electra viola bass. The one thing I wish I could change is that it is kneck heavy and when you let go of it the kneck slides down. Overall it reminds me of my 1971 Gibson EB3 in every respect, and if this one was to be stolen as my 1971 was, I would replace it right away.

I've owned my Epiphone EB3 for about a year and it gets played once or twice a month. I have several basses and I Switch around. I have not had any problems with it. It stays in tune remarkably well. I take very good care of my guitars, but the finish is holding up very well including the body gloss and hardware finish. I can depend on it and when I'm not planning on gigging with it, it all too often becomes my back up axe in case something happens.

The factory set up was very good, however I always tweek it a little to fit my style. But the way mine came out of the box would have sufficed most players. I prefer flat wound strings, so that is mainly what I changed. The action is near perfect. Since it was made in China, I took my time in inspecting the guitar before I took it home, honestly I could not find anything wrong with it. At least with the one I bought, the factory did an excellent job in building this bass guitar. I own 25 guitars and have not had this quality with much more expensive models.

This model was built in China and the quality is impressive. I've been playing the bass/guitar for over 40 years and own several bass guitars now. I owned a Gibson EB3 from 1971 and it was stolen a few years later. I now own a Gibson reissued EB3, but wanted that old look of the original EB3 which Epiphone provides. This Epiphone EB3 is as good as my old EB3 and my current reissued. It is long scale which is nice and the two humbuckers do a great job. I was never crazy about the three position switch, but I like the retro look it provides. I don't consider that an issue however, with the switch, the two volume and two tone knobs you can produce your sound. The finish is impecable, I've seen much more expensive basses with much worse finish.