EB-3 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EB-3

I love the signature Gibson/Epiphone sound, especially as far as basses go. I love the fact that this bass is a long scale because of the extra sounds you can coax out of it. The low bellows on the E string can vibrate the paint off the walls if you're not careful (easily approaches the bellows of an authentic Gibson). The two pickups are also a big reason I bought this bass. Even though the bridge pickup is very small and doesn't do a whole lot on it's own it's mostly there for support of the huge chromed out Sidewinder humbucker on the neck. The Sidewinder is a monster and sounds awesome. If your amp isn't up very high and you Switch the selector to the 1 you won't hear any noise out at all (I've seen some questions about this). I recommend keeping the size of the mini humbucker in mind when looking at this instrument because it is a great addition but some may misinterpret the point of it.

In my opinion this is the best bass for the price, hands down. Compared to the EB-0 this bass is head and shoulders above it's counterpart. The 0 is a short scale where the 3 is a long scale, the 0 has one pickup and the 3 has two. Not to mention that at a place like Guitar Center you can purchase a 3 year unlimited warranty on the 3 where you can't on the 0. To put it in perspective the Epiphone EB-3 is $1, 000 cheaper than it's Gibson counterpart with not too much of a difference as far as quality goes. I love this bass and given an unlimited budget I'm not so sure that I'd buy anything else.

I've not personally bumped or hit anything on the guitar yet but from what others say it is easily dented. I get that it's an electric guitar and most of us play rock music with it but it's still pretty easy to not bang it on things, simply paying attention to what you're doing will avoid most if not all of the bumps and bruises. The mahogany body and neck may dent easy but it I don't worry about it one bit, it's a very sturdy wood. The finish on the ebony is simply gorgeous but because it's a solid finish where you can't see the woodgrain like on the cherry it's easier to notice the fingerprints and such that will eventually get on it. A warm washcloth does the trick to get rid of the pesky smudges and such.

The guitar was set up well out of the box (Guitar Center had to have it shipped because it wasn't in stock). Well, the second one was at least. I had to send my original bass back to the company because the bridge wasn't properly attached to the body. I returned the bass to the company and a new one was mailed out the same day I mailed the old one back to them with a renewed warranty without any problems.

My EB-3 was made in China and set up in America. The long scale (34") neck provides 22 frets on a neck that is decent width, larger than the small EB-0 but not so big that it requires the fingers of E.T. To play. Both the body and the neck are made of mahogany which makes it a bit heavy. I purchased the Ebony finish which is just gorgeous. The Tune-O-Matic bridge makes adjusting it to your liking a breeze. There are two volume and two tone controls as well a 3-way selector which allows: 3-Neck, 2-Both and 1-Bridge.

JWHoinski
    I absolutely my EB-3!!!!! I had prevously owned a Fender Jazz Bass and the EB-3 has much beteer range, the tonal quality is freakin' outstanding, and I could not tell the differrence from a Gibson bass. I play through a Fender BXR=60 amp and could not be happier. JUST LOVE IT!!!! The only way you could get it from me is to pry my cold, dead fingers off of the fretboard.