Embassy Standard V review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Embassy Standard V

Price paid: € 149

Purchased from: Musicstore.de

I mainly play Black Metal and (Melodic) Death Metal but I really don't know if the sound is good because it's hard to hear it in most songs (which I hate). I play it through my Fender Sidekick Keyboard 70 watt unknown amp, and it doesn't seem to like my bass. It's no guitar or bass amp, its just some amp with a 3-band EQ 2 inputs + a volume knob for every input and a master volume. I never use distortion on my bass because it will just sound bad, really bad. When I play I have the 2 volume and the tone pot on my bass on 100% and it sounds ok to me. I can't really rate this because I have never played any other basses so I have nothing to compare it with. On the other hand it sounds ok to me especially for 149 euros so I'll give it a 10 because I can get many different sounds out of it.

I have been playing electric guitar for over 2 years and this is my gear: Kramer 120, Ibanez RGR321EX, Eko Ranger (with a pickup), small 10" speaker Fender amp, Boss MT-2 and CH-1, Zoom 9050 and this bass. If someone stole my bass guitar I wouldn't be able to buy another one because I bought the last one in stock at Musicstore. And if I was able to buy another one I would probably buy a ESP LTD F series bass anyways just because I got a job and have more moneyz now and of course because I like the shape of it better. The only thing I hate about this guitar is the weight and my favourite feature is the finish. I chose this guitar because it was cheap and looked good, didn't try it and didn't try any others so it was a bit of a gamble.

I think this guitar is pretty reliable. I smashed it against the wall because I forgot the weight of it and fell over my foot stand and it didn't get scratch the paint or damaged anything. I would use it on a gig without a backup just because I don't have one. I would use everything with a backup if I can. I recommend a thick padded strap if your planning to gig with it. All the hardware seems very solid to me and I am sure the finish won't wear off in 100 years.

When I opened the package the only thing that was wrong with it was the bridge pickup, one side just dropped down and the screws were almost out. There was no problem fixing it and 1 minute later I was playing bass. I'll give it -2 for that because if I can fix it in a minute, they can fix it in 10 seconds so thats just laziness. As I said before, the painting didn't contain any flaws. It actually stunned me right away so that's a +1!

My Epiphone Embassy Standard V bass was made in January 2007 in the "Sae Jung Plant" in China. It has 24 frets but the only way to play on the 24th fret is to cut off your pinky. The fretboard is made out of rosewood and I think it has medium or jumbo frets, not sure because this is the only bass I have ever played and I can't find it in the specs. The finish on this guitar is beautiful IMO, Transparent Black on headstock and swamp Ash body. Also I didn't spot any flaws on the paint. There are 2 730T Bass Humbuckers with 2 volume and 1 tone pot. The bolt-on maple neck looks similar to my Ibanez's bolt-on which plays more comfortable on the high frets than my bolt-on Kramer (Fender style bolt-on). They didn't include any accesories so its -1 for that and -1 for the unreachable 24th fret that looks very reachable.

Oosh.
    yaxow wrote: epiphone sucks
    Ignorance is a bliss. Shame about the set up from factory but it looks like a nice guitar!
    Gryphon999
    Oh I forgot to say that it came with a thin straight-to-angled jack that you get with every guitar you buy. But its useless because the quality is really bad.
    Gryphon999
    wow, 2 really mature ppl that probably didnt even play on this bass voted 1. Not even gnna argue with em. +1 to Oosh.
    saint_berzerker
    JamieIsHere
    I played an Epiphone Korina Explorer once... That was possibly the biggest piece of firewood I have ever played... Looked nice though.
    jean_genie
    saint_berzerker wrote: I bought a Epiphone thunderbird bass. The damn bridge was mounted about 1/2" too far to the right, causing the strings to go crooked all down the neck. The G string was right on the edge of the fretboard. Never again.
    I've played crappy Fenders, Squires, Ibanezes (Ibanii?), Epiphones, and even a couple PRSs. Anything factory-made has the potential to get screwed up and squeeze through QC. I've also played great guitars from all those brands. Also doesn't explain how you didn't notice how screwed-up the Epi bass was before you bought it. Unless you got it from MF or something ... in which case they should have noticed it too. I always thought the pickups on most Epiphone basses were a little too hot for my taste. Most of them use passive versions of active pickups. However, they're not bad. The Jack Casady, Viola, and Thunderbird (minus your experiences) are all excellent basses for the money. Heck, the Jack Casady is an excellent bass period. But yeah. Terrible review. You say you can't comment on the sound because you play death metal and can't hear it, and then you give it a 10 anyway. Wiskey tango foxtrot.
    JesusBass11
    okay im not going to be able to trust a reveiw in which the guy says its the only bass hes ever played and you didnt play it in an amp seriously i have an epiphone less paul bass and i played the thing for hours and compared it to others pluged in before i bought it id only trust a bassist on a bass reveiw
    littlekiddie
    umm... i dont know if this is a good guitar or not, but its epiphone, and their awesome
    S.Y.N.
    Epiphone never feel right for me.... Just something very tacky about them
    Gryphon999
    jean_genie wrote: But yeah. Terrible review. You say you can't comment on the sound because you play death metal and can't hear it, and then you give it a 10 anyway. Wiskey tango foxtrot.
    i didnt say i can't hear it, i said on most songs. and i dont play songs on bass where i can't hear the bass. and i forgot to say, the songs that i do play on bass i can get pretty similar sounds to the bass in the song. And still, why would the bass sound bad if i didnt know if it sounded good? gave it a 10 because i can get a good variety of tones out of it.
    Gryphon999
    sorry for double post but jean_genie, your statement of "terrible review" is because you find the sound section bad. But thats only 1/5 of the whole review.