Embassy Standard V Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 07/19/2010 category: Bass Guitars
Epiphone: Embassy Standard V
The 5 string version of the Embassy Standard features straight string pull on an angled headstock for optimum sustain and tuning accuracy.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Embassy Standard V Reviewed by: Gryphon999, on august 12, 2009

Price paid: € 149

Purchased from: Musicstore.de

Features: My Epiphone Embassy Standard V bass was made in January 2007 in the "Sae Jung Plant" in China. It has 24 frets but the only way to play on the 24th fret is to cut off your pinky. The fretboard is made out of rosewood and I think it has medium or jumbo frets, not sure because this is the only bass I have ever played and I can't find it in the specs. The finish on this guitar is beautiful IMO, Transparent Black on headstock and swamp Ash body. Also I didn't spot any flaws on the paint. There are 2 730T Bass Humbuckers with 2 volume and 1 tone pot. The bolt-on maple neck looks similar to my Ibanez's bolt-on which plays more comfortable on the high frets than my bolt-on Kramer (Fender style bolt-on). They didn't include any accesories so its -1 for that and -1 for the unreachable 24th fret that looks very reachable. // 8

Sound: I mainly play Black Metal and (Melodic) Death Metal but I really don't know if the sound is good because it's hard to hear it in most songs (which I hate). I play it through my Fender Sidekick Keyboard 70 watt unknown amp, and it doesn't seem to like my bass. It's no guitar or bass amp, its just some amp with a 3-band EQ 2 inputs + a volume knob for every input and a master volume. I never use distortion on my bass because it will just sound bad, really bad. When I play I have the 2 volume and the tone pot on my bass on 100% and it sounds ok to me. I can't really rate this because I have never played any other basses so I have nothing to compare it with. On the other hand it sounds ok to me especially for 149 euros so I'll give it a 10 because I can get many different sounds out of it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I opened the package the only thing that was wrong with it was the bridge pickup, one side just dropped down and the screws were almost out. There was no problem fixing it and 1 minute later I was playing bass. I'll give it -2 for that because if I can fix it in a minute, they can fix it in 10 seconds so thats just laziness. As I said before, the painting didn't contain any flaws. It actually stunned me right away so that's a +1! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar is pretty reliable. I smashed it against the wall because I forgot the weight of it and fell over my foot stand and it didn't get scratch the paint or damaged anything. I would use it on a gig without a backup just because I don't have one. I would use everything with a backup if I can. I recommend a thick padded strap if your planning to gig with it. All the hardware seems very solid to me and I am sure the finish won't wear off in 100 years. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing electric guitar for over 2 years and this is my gear: Kramer 120, Ibanez RGR321EX, Eko Ranger (with a pickup), small 10" speaker Fender amp, Boss MT-2 and CH-1, Zoom 9050 and this bass. If someone stole my bass guitar I wouldn't be able to buy another one because I bought the last one in stock at Musicstore. And if I was able to buy another one I would probably buy a ESP LTD F series bass anyways just because I got a job and have more moneyz now and of course because I like the shape of it better. The only thing I hate about this guitar is the weight and my favourite feature is the finish. I chose this guitar because it was cheap and looked good, didn't try it and didn't try any others so it was a bit of a gamble. // 9

Embassy Standard V Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 22, 2009

Purchased from: gak

Features: Bought this bass about two years ago and have had no problems with it at all. Walnut finish on the body and head. Black hardware. 34inch standard neck. The original embassy was the flagship of the epi range but is now a professional quality but value aimed bass. Swamp Ash body, maple bolt on neck and twin humbucker. // 10

Sound: I have found that it can suit many styles; soul, rock, Indie, punk, light metal. The low end on this bass is really nice with loads of clarity and sustain. Currently using a Roland cube amp with a Zoom 708-2 multi-effects, a Boss odb-1 and Ibanez synthbass 7. Also sounds good when you slap near the bridge. Have played better sounding basses but they all cost over 800quid. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set to perfection although when I changed the strings to elites I had to raise it fractionally. The strap posts have loosened slightly but with playing 8-10 hours most weeks you would expect that. The only complaint I have about the finish is with the neck, but I have encountered this on gibsons and higher priced epiphones as well, if your hands are too dry or slightly damp you tend to drag on the neck. This is easily sorted by using a small amount of talc. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Two years constant playing and the only thing to come loose so far are the strap posts. Jack input is still tight, the tone pots move smoothly and haven't needed to be tightened. I lent it to my mate Who was recording and he dropped it, this has had no effect on the sound just an annoying little divet in the neck at 4th fret. This bass has held up very well compared to my other bass a Vintage Metal axxe wraithe bass. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a heavy lump of wood, metal and electronics but it is bueatifully balanced. Once you find a wide strap you don't notice the weight. I have played more expensive basses before and since buying the embassy and I would rather have the embassy. It is capable of producing many sounds, plays very well and looks good. It's a shame that it has been discontinued. If it brakes I will do my utmost to repair it and if stolen I would hunt the b/stard down. // 9

Embassy Standard V Reviewed by: PRSfanatic, on july 19, 2010

Price paid: € 133.85

Purchased from: rnr.pl

Features: 2007 Made in China, 24 frets. Thin but very wide Neck (because it's a 5'er) The neck is what makes this bass great, VERY comfortable. Solid top, it's Swamp Ash, in a dark blue transparent finish, good looking wood but without proper lighting it is just black. It's a standard Epiphone bass bridge, it does its' job well enough to suit a beginner. The body is really nice with easy access, and good contours for playing while sitting. It's passive with 2 humbuckers. Very low quality humbuckers. It has 3 knobs, A master tone and 2 volume knobs for each pickup. Non locking no-name brand Epiphone tuners. Everything you'd expect from a chinese bass and a bit more. It came with a cable, very good instructions and a beautiful but out of date Epiphone catalog poster. I'm going to give the features a 8 because of the quality of the components that make up the bass and the low quality pickups. The good instructions and tools make it all up. // 8

Sound: This is one important thing: This is a rock/metal bass. It won't suit other genres. The pickups give little tonal variety and overall it's a very "Boomy" bass, nothing special. Very warm, a lot of bass. Even with the bass cut off and a treble boost it sounds warm and bassy. It isn't noisy, that's a big plus for it. Unplugged it is loud, which is a plus, because you can play it in your bedroom unplugged even with old strings, which is something that many budget basses lack. They die with the strings. This one doesn't. 6 because it's just a rock bass, nothing else. the B string is okay, does its' job. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was HORRIBLE. It took massive amounts of adjusting and one of the pots wasn't even connected, I had to solder it back on myself. The action was so low, I wouldn't be surprised if the strings were IN the neck. B string was, is and will be very loose, no matter how much I change strings and adjust it. One of the knobs was very loose. The top and all the routing are done properly, that's why it gets some points. I've NEVER played a bass with so much fret buzz. Never. Even after intense adjustments it has some buzz, but fortunately not as much as it did. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I don't trust Epiphone with this bass. I'd be very afraid to take it anywhere without a backup. I would not be surprised if it just fell apart during a gig without any specific reasons. The strap buttons were very very bad, because it is a VERY heavy bass, heavier than a les paul custom guitar, and it wouldn't hold a strap. I HAD to install straplocks, there was no choice if I wanted to play it standing up. The finish will easily wear off, but I take care of it, so it doesn't. I'm pretty sure a small bump could hurt the finish alot. // 4

Overall Impression: I play many styles. From blues to some classic metal. I hope this one was really just a one off factory dud, because this bass fails at many styles. Get it only if you want to play metal or rock as a backup bass. It is okay for recording a metal bass track. I bought it only because it has the most comfortable neck I have ever seen on any bass. It is just wonderful. The string spacing is good for people that have small hands, for me not so much, but I got used to it. If it was stolen... Well lesson learned, I would never buy a second one. I would just save up for a much better 5-string. I wish it had a decent factory setup and an active preamp, because the tone on it was dissapointg. Fortunately I payed only 1/2 of the price because they were selling old stock. This will be a good beginner's bass, but if it gets setup. However, I am pretty sure a professional bass player would throw it away, hoping to never see it again. Oh yes, and Gibson/Epiphone's customer service, I'll forget they never happened. I tried contacting them about fixing it. All I could get was saying it's all the shop's fault in a polite way. So overall, I'd say if you're an amateur Metal player and need a 5-er to record with, get it. It'll do the job well. If you're a beginner and want your first bass to be a 5 string, get it but at a good price. Personally, I do not regret buying it, It does it's own job decent enough. Recording rock and metal. That's about all it can do. // 6

Comments