Les Paul Special Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 01/13/2009 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Epiphone: Les Paul Special
This LP Special is a great player, fresh refin by RS Guitarworks, relic' to look like like a true road warrior! Nice fat neck and the original P90's are pure rock n' roll!
 8.6
 5.3
 1,500
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Special Reviewed by: roaddawg07, on january 13, 2009

Features: This bass was made in China in 2006.It's a 34" scale.The neck is super slim (it needed to be adjusted when I got it)it has 20 jumbo frets.Mine has a mahogany body with a maple top with a transparent black finish.The bridge is a badass II.It has a pair of 442 alnico bass humbuckers with 2 volume and 1 tone controls.The tuners are grover I think they are very smooth. it did not come with a case. // 9

Sound: I play some metal, mostly classic rock and some blues.I play thru a Hartke stack and my Fender bassman 25 practice amp. I have played it thru other amps and it sounds great no matter what amp I use. I am able to get a variety of sounds out of this and it suits every thing I play very well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said earlier the neck needed to be adjusted and I raised the pickups a little. The Finish was a flame maple top with a transparent black finish. all the hardware was solid and has held up well.The nut was cut too tight on the E string.I do wish I could find different pickups, something with little more output.The 442's are an odd size. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged for 2 years without a backup with this bass and will continue to.The strap buttons were solid but I replaced them with strap locks.I have strap locks on all my guitars.I changed the knobs(personal preference.)The finish is holding up fine(just a few minor scratches )and seems like it will last for quite a while. // 9

Overall Impression: The only things I some what dislike about this guitar are the pickups and it's a little heavy I love the tone and it's easy playability. A great deal for price. If it were stolen I would Hunt down the mother f--ker and kill him take back my bass and go buy another one. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard 8.6 Electric Guitars 01/25/2016
+ Les Paul Black Beauty 8.8 Electric Guitars 01/08/2016
+ Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom-7 8 Electric Guitars 11/18/2015
+ Ltd. Ed. Brendon Small "Thunderhorse" Explorer 7.2 Electric Guitars 10/28/2015
+ Goth 1958 Explorer 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/17/2015