Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

Purchased from: N/A

I have been playing just over a year now and this guitar is the perfect step up from my crappy first guitar (don't even ask what it was, I don't know). It is quite a good match for my style, but I can't really define the style I play as I play alot of each genre. I own a Boss Me50b effects processor and the Epi is a good partner for it. If it were stolen I'm not sure if I would buy it again, I don't know if I could afford it, (I got it at an exceptional price from a friend). I love the shape of it, it looks so cool when playing in the mirror. The thing I marginally dislike about it is the heavy neck, but I have learnt to cope with it and don't really notice it anymore. The one thing I wish it had was a selector switch between the two pickups for quick tone change, but if I did have it I suppose I would only use it occasionally.

This guitar is rock solid. I have played with it live and it didn't go down on me, though I never gig without a backup guitar. The strap buttons could be a little thicker at the ends, it fell off once but that was because I was in an awkward playing position, not the guitars fault. As I have said before, the finish is very shiny and will last for a long time.

I got this guitar second hand, but the previous owner basically hadn't touched it so it was as gd as new. Judging from this, there are practically no flaws at all (or that I can see). The only thing I would say is that the neck is quite heavy compared to the rest of the guitar, but I have tried out other Thunderbirds in the shops and they are all the same so I wouldn't really call it a flaw.

20 frets. Made in Korea. Laminated top which is very nice and shiny (I can see my face in it.) Standard thunderbird shape body. There are 3 knobs, 2 volume (one for each pickup) and one tone. Unlike some other cheap basses, the tone on this guitar actually does change the tone quite dramtically. 2 Gibson pickups (I think they are humbuckers but I'm not sure if you can get them on basses.) One at the bridge and one in the middle.