Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

Purchased from: Cash Converters

If this guitar was stolen I'd hunt the cunt that stole it and beat the crap out of them, but if I couldn't find the thief, I probably would buy something similar to it. A Thunderbird IV most likely, since they don't make Thunderbird V bodies anymore, maybe I'll upgrade to an actual Gibson?

The strap buttons could be made bigger because of the top heaviness of the guitar, but it hasn't fallen off the strap with me yet. Very reliable very hardy guitar. The body is absolutely solid, has a few little scratches here and there but nothing remarkably noticable. I would probably show up at a gig with no backup because this is the only guitar I have, which seems funny.

Again, this guitar is second hand so I have no idea on how the guitar would sound fresh from the factory. I do know that Epiphone and Gibson no longer make Thunderbird V bodies anymore. The guitar is however top heavy, which is the same with all Thunderbirds. It has an extra large head which makes bass bag buying a real bitch. I'm still looking for a bass bag that'll actually fit this guitar, and I have found nothing that even comes close! (Except for a Ritter bad that cost more that a case, which is just useless for me). But aside from that (which has nothing to do with the fir or finish) do with, its in excellent condition for a 9 year old Epiphone.

According to the barcode, this guitar was made in Kroea in 1995. It has 21 frets. The neck is beautifully made with a dark ebony finish. In case you're wondering why I mentioned that it has four strings, thats because (if you were a Gibson guitar enthusias, you'd know) Thunderbird V are suppose to have 5 strings, and Thunderbird IV are suppsoe to have 4 strongs, quite simple eh? It has three knobs, two for each pickup, and one for tone. The pickups are magnetic acrylic (or plastic). As the other Thunderbird review suggest, it is very shiny, I could use it as a mirror if I needed to. Very nice body, I have the non-reverse body (as opposed to all the Thunderbird IV which all have reverse body). It has a massive pick guard though, I hated it to begin with but I must admit, it is starting to grow on me, actually no, I lie, still hate it.