Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

Very heavy, will seem muddy if not EQ'd properly. I use it for everything from pop punk to metal to playing at my church, and it has never left me short. Not super versatile, but it is like a P-Bass, it's is at home everywhere. Besides most versatility comes from your amp anyway.

I love this bass, it shares the top spot with my ash-bodied MIA Jazz bass. Very deep and full sounding, gives a real old-school dark sound, but can be EQ's for that twangy pop-punk sound too. I chose this bass because it was the most well constructed bass I found. I compared it with basses up to $1200 dollars and I bought this and my Jazz. I tried high end Ibanezes, found them to be sterile, mid range Fenders were mediocre. Higher end Fenders, even, are hit-or-miss. I didn't like Spector, or Gretsch, or even the other Epis. This bass, though is beatiful. If they would just make it with the strap buttons moved, I could justify a nine.

This things a beast, I wouldn't worry about anything happening to it. Massive hardware and excellent construction.

Everything on this was above par for a $400 instrument- except balance. I've seen worse fretwork on my MIA Fender. Pickups were well set, finish was flawless. But I had to move the strap buttons to behind the neck and the other one up a tad to fix the neck dive. Other than that though, very comfortable bass.