Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

My musical style varies hugely. I play classic rock (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin) with my band, but at home I tend to play along to anything from The Feeling to Slipknot. I'm playing it through a Laney amp, not sure of the make, it's quite old, but the guitar makes a really good, deep and woody sound through it. The sound is very. Very rich, and averagely bright. The only gripe is there is not much variety in sound on the bass, unless you play with pickup levels and tones a lot.

This is simply a phenomenal guitar, easily as good as the Gibson version which I have also played. I would happily buy a knew one if I stole it, after hunting down and torturing the thief by pushing the headstock slowly up their nose. On a slightly less disturbing note, I love it.

This guitar will easily withstand Live playing. There is a slight neck dive, but with a rough strap, the friction will keep it in place. The hardware is incredible, really well made, and will last a long time. The strap buttons are very, very solid too. I would quite happily gig with this without a backup.

I got the bass new from the factory, and contrary to most people's gripes about bad setup, the setup was incredible. Absolutely incredible. The action is quite low, but there is no fret buzz at all, it is perfect, I will not need to adjust it. All of the knobs are well stuck, the tuning knobs and the volume and tone knobs are excellent too. The best guitar I have ever bought, out of about 15, this is the only one which has come from the factory perfect.

It's a really gorgeous bass, with a slightly glazed top layer, brilliantly smooth and shiny. The materials have been said before, I believe so I'm not gonna waste my time. The finish is a gorgeous sunburst colour, quite dark, but on looking at the bass is really gorgeous and toned looking. There are 3 controls, 2 volume knobs and a tone knob. The tone knob makes a good difference to the sound. The pickups are as standard with all Thunderbirds, the Epi make. Nothing much came with the bass however, which is why I've lowered the score from 10. Only and Allen key and a cheap cable. But the bass more than makes up for it.

hexagram244
    great bass, shame about its balance all the weight is at the arm & headstock, but bar that; super low end sound & awesome look...
    beeboshain
    beeboshain wrote: worst and most ugly bass ive ever seen, so horrible to play aswell
    have to agree, played it twice to see if i could prove myself wrong but it sounds horride and plays worse, i went for warwick and im happy with that now i look at it again its ugly
    Hart_Attack
    so that makes three people against the thunder bird... guess it has to do with preference
    cusic
    lol, maybe, but I think the Thunderbird is a great bass, I not a bassist as such, but I'm not crap on one, I played my friends and it feels great to play, it sounds good and If I were to get a bass it would be that
    sbass12
    i want one of these, but stuck between an Ibanez BTB200 or this epiphone thunderbird. which is better??