Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

I would consider the Thunderbird to be a one-trick pony. It's built to rock and rock it does. You can dial in on an extremely round sound with a very crisp attack very easily with the two volume blending knobs. I usually plug strait into my Fender Rumble 100 and get a wonderful sound. Sometimes I play through a Big Muff Pi Fuzz pedal but it sounds great either way. I use it in both grunge and classic rock settings. Best feature of this bass!

This is definately one of my favorite basses that I own and I would definately buy it again given the choice. It is a perfect match for anyone playing rock or even metal styles and it can take an extreme beating. I would definately recomend this bass to any intermediate to advanced player.

This bass is built like a tank! It is huge. I would not recomend playing this bass Live to anyone of small stature because it will eat you alive. I use a locking strap which is necessary because of the placement of the top strap button. The neck also is very heavy and tends to divebomb to the floor. Overall the bass is very trusty. If I could only bring one bass to a gig it would be this one but I wouldn't recomend ever doing that with any bass.

Overall I was very pleased with the setup on this bass. I tweaked it but only surprisingly little considering it came in the mail. The action is set slightly high but it is well suited to pickstyle playing. The hardware is top notch with little or no flaws.

The Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass has a classic shape and a great sound. This streamlined design is based on Gibson's original model. 2 humbucking pickups. Volume and tone controls. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Limited lifetime warranty.

winterburn69
    I bought a used one in February, I'm thinking of posting a review soon, I wanted to have it for awhile to get used to it, it's my first 34" scale bass, actually, I'm going to post a review tomorrow, but this thing is so awesome.
    vik rythums
    if you buy one, get a Ashdown!!! It will sound like a god farted. sooooo bassey its unbelievable through a 300 watt mag. ahh yeh.
    vik rythums
    if you want a case get a official epiphone one they're only 70 from cash converters when they order one.
    bigmac2244
    what is the difference between the gothic thunderbird and the normal one? (besides from the aesthetic stuff)
    mab0009081
    I'm Stuck between this and the Epiphone Viola Bass . Both the same price, but the Viola is rated higher on this website. Help !!!
    myst_ivo
    i've got a epiphone thunderbird gothic and i love it so ****ing much!! I couldn't life without it.
    Jamton!?
    bassbizzle wrote: most epiphones suck, ibanez kicks the shit out of this thing. so...who gives a shit, its a great bass ive owned mine 4 about 2yrs (except its a customshop one with black finish), with a hardcase with it. the only problem with it was the action (or whateva) was way too high, its great 4 slap, metal, rock or just ****in around with
    luke-bassist
    i play through a marshall 4210 series (400 watt max.) and i couldn't get a better tone out of it. one of the best basses ever.
    minertbassist
    luke-bassist
    great bass!! Been playing for about 1 year and had this beast about 6 months. Plays great but slightly unbalanced, due to the heavy neck. if u hate that sort of thing, go for a p-bass.
    Andy2k64
    minertbassist wrote: i havent found a case it will fit in and the neck dives, but i love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything.
    Yeah gettin a hardcase is a bitch. i just got a really good gig bag. I went to a music store and they said they could either get me one from epiphone for 100 or they could make me one...im not made of money!!!!!
    killyoutonight
    bassbizzle wrote: most epiphones suck, ibanez kicks the shit out of this thing
    I like ibanez, i want an ibanez iceman bass... i have an epiphone goth tbird though and it is pretty cool. I have some ibanez basses but i dont really like them...starter basses.
    jamesdjharrod
    Sorry, Secondhandloser, but I think you'll find that most versatility comes from the player not the amp or the bass.
    SOAD316
    minertbassist i havent found a case it will fit in and the neck dives, but i love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything. the case is 90 bucks and is like a door. i hear they have gig bags though.
    SOAD316
    eh it sounds lovely, especially on a high tone setting, but the low E string is way too quiet, which is a bit of a problem if you play metal or stuff where you neeed to be heard. True. it needs more growl
    Izdigger
    VALISICUS wrote: This bass is not at all versitile. You can't pop, slap, or play anything stylisticaly diverse. Sure it looks nice and has a decent tone, but my Peavey is louder and i can get almost any sound i want unlike this one.
    Well, no serious metal bassist would ever wanna "slap" or "pop".