Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

Purchased from: NZ Rockshop

Thunderbird has an awesome deep, heavy sound and is perfectly at home with the metal that I play (e.g Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer etc.) and it goes hard with hard rock/blues rock like GN'R style music. I can slap and pop on it just as easily as a Fender I find.

This bass is awesome for playing metal but it fits in well with mostly any genre, favourite feautre would have to be the fretboard its just so quick to play on. I've had it for about 5-6 months and no problems (apart from the bridge when I first got it) at all. Definatly buy a new one if it got stolen or lost etc. Best bass I've owned so far.

This bass can take a hit, I've accidently whacked against my door, table etc. 2 or 3 times and no change to sound and hardly leaves a scratch on the body, the strap buttons are a different story, the top strap button is constantly coming loose and I have to screw it back into place and the strap has slipped off it a few times.

When I got the guitar the bridge had to be slightly adjujsted because I was getting a bad fret rattle on from the 5th fret to the 1st on all the strings but now that's fixed it plays awesome. But as everyone else has said, its not balanced very well but it doesn't matter too much when your playing because your hloding the neck up anyway.

First off, I love this bass, plays great and has a very fast fretboard, although I think it'd be alot better with 24 frets instead of 20. The 2 humbuckers give an awesome low-end sound and the body is finished really well, 3 knobs, 2 for the pickups and 1 for tone.