Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

Purchased from: pittsburgh guitars

I play old school punk with this and will use it in my alt. Country band as well. It offers a piano-like tone, very deep and clean. I play it through a Hartke 250 watt head, and mess with the EQ a lot just to hear its different sound qualities to which there are a few, not a lot but enough.

Unlike most people writing about this bass, I can see it being highly adaptable. Maybe I just don't care if a country bass line comes off sounding more metal/piano chord like than what is the norm, but other than my old Kramer aluminum neck bass it is the only bass I have found to get this type of sound. Love it and after playing over 30 years and many basses I know both cheap crap and affordable quality. This is worth your money.

My friend has forewarned me of the headstock cracking if it goes down too hard, and has also told me to put a little cloth under the neck while in the case, thus raising the headstock up just a bit, but enough to prevent the cracking issue. Other than that it is a freaking beast.

I bought it used at Pittsburgh guitars and they set up every guitar before it goes up on the wall, so the action was great, it is a very big bass as everyone will or has mentioned. The neck is thin and fast and it gets a little difficult to hit the higher frets, but not impossible just a matter of adjusting your playing approach.

My bird is a 2007 tabaco sunburst, I, like many others put the front strap button behind the neck and moved the rear one up about 2 inches. Top heavy no more. Alder body mahogany neck rosewood fingerboard. 2 humbuckers sound good, but could see how putting higher quality pickups in may help.

Jose Chung
    Hi Guys Like many players I think the strings are too high off the fret board - how can I fix this and move them closer? Theres probably a really easy answer but I'm new to bass playing so please be kind :o)