Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

Purchased from: Guitar Guitar Birmingham

I play virtually anything, I love my heavy stuff but I even get sad and play stuff like 12 bar blues, the only thing I have to do to change from these two genres, turn that tone dial! Its that simple. I have a Hartke systems HA7000 head and a couple of XL series cabs, and this just sounds perfect through it. I never had a better sound in my life, and I hired an Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray bass and played it through my setup and it sound terrible compared to my thunderbird. It suits every type of music, the only problem I seem to have is a little buzzing noise when then tone dial is turned up, but I think that's my amp because all my guitars do that.

Amazing guitar, but I hate the look of it, I'm not fond of eregular shape guitars, I love my simpleness off the Fender jazz! My friend owned one and she always offered it me to play and I would say, I hate that ugly thing, and one day I played and realised what I was missing out on! It plays amazing, and sounds amazing, if you like the look, it looks amazing, but I personally think it is an ugly looking guitar. I would certainly buy one again if I broken it or it had been stolen... The best feature I love about it is that the 20 fret neck is short into the body, so it leaves a good place to slap inbetween you neck pick up and your neck, how many times I have hurt my thumb on a pick up slapping! The only way I could improve it is by sorting out the ballance with a strap!

I have had this guitar since christmas 2010, bought it on the day after boxing day... No problems, except the strap pin closest to the neck, the guitar has threaded! But I'm putting strap locks on soon so the screw in those are always slightly bigger so if your guitar does thread then you can use them anyway.

i had no problems with this guitar technically, just a little bit of excess glue from where the wood had been glued on the body, this came off easily. the only thing i found was that i never knew that there was wood sticking out (well glued onto the body) in the centre where the pick ups and the bridge go, the same is on the back, by this is mean when you look at the photo in the middle of the guitar there is two lines, that is where it turns like 3-D!

Well, it was made in 2010 in china, I was expecting it to be from Japan for some reason, comes with 20 frets, I found this quite weird, and has jumbo frets and a BOLT ON neck. If you have the Vintage sunburst, it does look a lot darker than the natural look that's given in the picture on gibsons website, and obviously has the reverse body. This is what I couldnt find in the reviews, it has passive pick-ups, some people may think they are active because of the guitar being so... Agressive but there passive. It comes with 3 control dials, two volumes, one for each pick up and a tone, and unlike my Fender jazz and my Peavey cirrus, it make a difference. Comes with two EMG style humbuckers that when playing with your fingers, give a comfortable rest whereas a Fender pick up will start to hurt after about half an hour! Guitar Guitar gave me a brilliant deal, I paid 227.99 for the guitar, an Epiphone softcase that fits every guitar/bass I own and a 20ft lead. There is one fault, and it is probably in every review I've seen, its the strap pins, there placed so that the guitar is top heavy!

bassplayer321
    i got one of these and it is not worth buying. the elektronics are ****ing unrelyable, it is too hevy, the neck is too thick and a richwood jazz bass for half the price sounds better.(i plays metallica and ac/dc)