Thunderbird IV review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Thunderbird IV

Price paid: € 249

Purchased from: thomann.de

I have to admit that the bass is really weird compared to any of my previous basses. I play mostly only disco basslines with heavy use of octaves, and all I can say, is that this bass really needs some strength to play the octaves, especially on the first frets. The sound is really good and thick, but I never use the neck pickup, or it gets really muddy. This bass is anything but noisy, it is REALLY quiet, really.

Well, as I said, I play almost only octaves. The bass really produces a nice groove, but I don't suggest you should play with the neck pickup, or you wont have your ears tomorrow. Well, I have used it for metal playing with pick sometimes. I have played 3 years (ooch) My other basses are fender, or fender-style, and I can really say that this is the bast bass for slap, never listen again for those nagging about it. Slapping with this bass gets really groovy. If the bass would be stolen, I would maybe get this bass only for the looks. I bought this bass because of the look... I love the look of the bass, but it is really uncomfortable. I recommend this bass, even if it has the certain flaws. I would not recommend this bass for someone who cannot handle setting up it first.

This bass stands very well when you play live. I would still take a backup because you cannot trust to the bridge, it can just fell off from the screws suddenly during a show. The strap buttons are solid, but they just cannot carry out their job, because they are placed in so bad places. You CANNOT play this bass live without STRAPLOCKS. No way. The finish will wear off in the year 3000, so no worries.

The factory setup pissed me off right away. The bridge was set way too high, the screws are soft as ****, and I could not tighten the screws without really destroying them, and the bridge fell off one time. The truss rod was all ****** up, and I had to tighten it a LOT. Overall the bass feels really bad when you play while standing, you have to pull the bass backwards all the time when you play it, which is really annoying. The bass is very heavy, and feels like its made from metal 100%tly, its made from very hard wood. The strap fells off instantly (more below), and the bass is too much forward, your hand is like on the bridge, while playing with jazz bass, it is on the start of the neck. Overall, very bad bass to handle, but if you want, you can get something playable out of it. The finish is flawless and sparkling.

It was made in china in 2010. The bass has a red finish, and has really large frets on it. It has an alder body with a neck made from some really hard wood. Mine was eqipped with 50-105 strings, (thick) and two volume controls with master tone. Mine was also a special edition (came with new-tech electronics) and Epiphone bassbuckers. It has sealed tuners.

Anjohl
    Most_Triumphant
    Anjohl wrote: Terrible, muddy cheap import bolt-on Bass that just happens to be shaped like a popular Gibson bass.
    Not all of us can afford $2000 instruments so this will have to do. This isn't meant to play live and record with once you hit it big. It is meant to help you get to that point.