LTD B-154 review by ESP

ESP: LTD B-154

Personally I play mostly harder rock and for it's awesome for the most part. Obviously it's not meant for a lot of bands that use P or J basses, but for the bassists that do use soapbars, it sounds awesome. I'm using a cheap 15w Peavey w/o any effects and I think it still sounds fine. I love the tonal variety with the active electronics. I feel like you can really sculpt your tone well. Obviously it doesn't have that warm P Bass sound (which I'm getting used to since I used to own a P Bass), but that's not what you're paying for. My big Peavey with this bass is that it seems to work a lot better with a pick rather than fingers. I feel I just don't get a full sound when playing with my fingers on this one, which is disappointing since I like to play early Metallica.

Overall, I really like this bass. Like I said, for the money you can't beat it. I've only been playing for a year, and I also own a P Bass (which has been temporarily decomissioned until I can get some new strings), and I like having both around. That's the one issue with this bass, and I suggest owning this as a complement to a P or J bass. I think what I like the best about it is the look (it looks like a beast with the headstock) and the great bottom end and tonal variety for the heavier stuff. I really like how it has 24 frets, and it's also not too heavy. If lost I would cry for a day and maybe wait a little bit before buying another, but I would buy this same one!

I don't play in a band and I baby this thing, so I don't have any good perception on that. Everything seems durable, except though perhaps the knobs, but beyond that I don't see having a problem with it.

Action was too low. That was the biggest problem, and it took me some time to get it the way I wanted it. Normally I don't care about these things, but this was quite annoying. Also, the bass knob came loose and fell off the night I brought it home, but they fixed it the next day. Other than that everything was fine. When I bought it it was tuned 1/2 a step down so I just left it that way.

First off, I must say: for the price, you can't beat this baby. 2005 model, made in South Korea, I believe. - Maple neck, 24 fret rosewood fingerboard - Agathis, flamed maple top body (I think it's FM, but the website doesn't say anything about it) that looks damn sexy in dark red - Normal ESP B shape, simple yet elegant - Typical 4-string bridge - Passive soapbar pickups (basic ESP) and 2-band active electronics (1 9-volt battery req'd) - 4 knobs: vol, bal, bass, treb - Mine came with a couple alen wrenches and a cable.

Psycroptipath
    Sepulnation wrote: is it better than the BC RICH bronze bass warlock?
    Anything is better than a basic bc rich
    Bassface7
    Psycroptipath wrote: Sepulnation wrote: is it better than the BC RICH bronze bass warlock? Anything is better than a basic bc rich
    This.