LTD B-154 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 05/15/2006 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

ESP: LTD B-154
The ESP LTD B-154 4-string bass guitar has an agathis body with that stunning flamed maple top; two ESP SB-series pickups; a new ESP ABQ-2 active 2-band EQ with improved range and definition; a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard and 24 XJ frets; and black hardware.
 8.5
 8.8
 8.2
 3,635
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
LTD B-154 Reviewed by: seekdestroy83, on may 15, 2006

Features: First off, I must say: for the price, you can't beat this baby. 2005 model, made in South Korea, I believe. - Maple neck, 24 fret rosewood fingerboard - Agathis, flamed maple top body (I think it's FM, but the website doesn't say anything about it) that looks damn sexy in dark red - Normal ESP B shape, simple yet elegant - Typical 4-string bridge - Passive soapbar pickups (basic ESP) and 2-band active electronics (1 9-volt battery req'd) - 4 knobs: vol, bal, bass, treb - Mine came with a couple alen wrenches and a cable. // 10

Sound: Personally I play mostly harder rock and for it's awesome for the most part. Obviously it's not meant for a lot of bands that use P or J basses, but for the bassists that do use soapbars, it sounds awesome. I'm using a cheap 15w Peavey w/o any effects and I think it still sounds fine. I love the tonal variety with the active electronics. I feel like you can really sculpt your tone well. Obviously it doesn't have that warm P Bass sound (which I'm getting used to since I used to own a P Bass), but that's not what you're paying for. My big Peavey with this bass is that it seems to work a lot better with a pick rather than fingers. I feel I just don't get a full sound when playing with my fingers on this one, which is disappointing since I like to play early Metallica. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was too low. That was the biggest problem, and it took me some time to get it the way I wanted it. Normally I don't care about these things, but this was quite annoying. Also, the bass knob came loose and fell off the night I brought it home, but they fixed it the next day. Other than that everything was fine. When I bought it it was tuned 1/2 a step down so I just left it that way. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't play in a band and I baby this thing, so I don't have any good perception on that. Everything seems durable, except though perhaps the knobs, but beyond that I don't see having a problem with it. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I really like this bass. Like I said, for the money you can't beat it. I've only been playing for a year, and I also own a P Bass (which has been temporarily decomissioned until I can get some new strings), and I like having both around. That's the one issue with this bass, and I suggest owning this as a complement to a P or J bass. I think what I like the best about it is the look (it looks like a beast with the headstock) and the great bottom end and tonal variety for the heavier stuff. I really like how it has 24 frets, and it's also not too heavy. If lost I would cry for a day and maybe wait a little bit before buying another, but I would buy this same one! // 9

Comments