LTD B-155 review by ESP

ESP: LTD B-155

I play almost everything, but mainly metal and jazz. This bass suits the styles pretty good. The bass mostly aimed towards metal, but it has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. The bass can easily go from warm, jazzy sound to some sharper punkier sounds and is very versatile. I'm using it with a Behringer BX600, and the amp isn't the best one by any means. The only grudge I carry is that the tone isn't too rich on anything. It's not particulary bassy or trebly, nor does it pack any mids. This is probably due to the agathis body, which is known for. Well, the lack of any tone at all. The bass does what it should sound wise, but not more or less.

This bass matches my playing pretty good. I've been playing for three years and I own a few guitars, another bass and two amps, aswell as a few pedals. I wish I had checked what wood it was made of before buying it. If I would somehow "loose" this bass, I'd buy myself something different. Without doubt. I love how this bass feels however. Really nice neck and low action. I only wish it had better tonewood and/or better pickups. I might equip it with better pups later on, but probably not. I will probably buy some other bass.

I have played Live with it lots of times, and I have never felt a need to bring a backup. Until now, but more about that later on. The hardware seems ok, nothing special. Might last some time, but again, with proper abuse. One of the strapbuttons tends to rattle while playing, which is annoying. I have got this serviced once, during warranty period, as the bass just died. At first, I thought it was the battery. After changing this, the problem still remained. Oxide? Maybe. I tried turning the volume control. And there we had it. The good ol' noise of the oxide in the pots. Soon, there was no sound coming from the bass at all. After proper maintanence of the pots, I tried it. No change. Actually, it was the preamp that had died without reason. I got a new preamp installed however. This brings a big minus to the reliability.

The bass had been inspected in the US. It was set-up pretty good. I could play it right out of the box. Everything was adjusted like it should. The only minor modification I did was to lower the action a bit. The bass didn't contain any flaw whatsoever. However, after three months, the bridge started rattling. The screws which are used for adjusting the action had somehow started to loosen, which caused a lot of noice while playing. Also, one of the strap buttons were bery loose.

I bought this bass in 2005, and it was made in Indonesia. It has 24 Jumbo Frets and the neck is made out of rosewood. The body is made from agathis and has an amber finish. The neck is bolt-on. It has two active ESP humbuckers, or rather, passive pickups with an active preamp. It has standard dots inlays with a "B-155" inlay at 12th fret. The controls are volume/tone/bass/treble.

KPWoCkAxX
    That's pretty much settled it for me. I'm going to buy it. I like the blue finish best though.