LTD B-206SM review by ESP

ESP: LTD B-206SM

Purchased from: GuitarCenter.com

I play alot of prog. Jazz, classical, punk, a bit of everything (Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Saxon, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Elton John, Iron Maiden, Rush, blah blah blah you name it). I'm Playing a Fender Bassman 2x10. The bass only hums if you have Sh***** cables with a rich sound. I can get JUST ABOUT any tone out of this bass, and tweek the rest with my amp. The EMG's in this bass are ESP quality with a different name. So nothing special.

For prog, jazz, or anything BUT funk (for those who Slap-Bass) the strings are way to close for slapping, if you can put up with it. You can get a great tone. This bass will be perfect for just about anyone who wants a bolt on 6er on a budget. With the same ratings in all departments the ESP LTD D-6 is the same bass as this. With different wood, a bit heavier and a neck-thru construction. Other than that it sounds the same. And plays the same. REMEMBER THE BASS IS A MAPLE ROSEWOOD NECK! and a 34" scale. I love that the bass is 11.5 pounds (D-6 is 23.5 pounds). All that I would add to this bass to keep it forever is the walnut in the neck. 35" scale, coil taping. Bartilini pups, and body thru stringing.

I play 2 45min - 2Hour shows a week, 6-8 hour rehearsals 3 days a week. With 6+ hours of personal practice a day and this bass can definitely handle anything you toss at it. No back up needed. If you play has hard as me, keep a spare of strings around.

The action was right on 9when using long scale DR strings) if you use Slinkys or any other string you may want to lower the action a tenth of an inch. The stock strings make the bass far to quite. Replace those with nickle plated. Or stainless steel strings and your ready for some real tone. The control nobs are very nice. With a grove at 12o clock or -0+, with resistance so you can get JUST the tone you want, without fear of slipping.

Guitar Center and every other retailer has the SPECS wrong. I contacted ESP to get the right specs. And here they are. - Bolt-On Construction - 34" Scale (not 35") - Ash Body - Spalted Maple Top - 5 Pc Maple/Rosewood Neck (not Maple/Walnut) - Rosewood Fingerboard - 54mm Standard Nut - Thin U Neck Contour - 24 XJ Frets - Black Nickel Hardware - ESP Tuners - ESP DB-6 Bridge - ESP SB-6 (B & N) p.u. - ESP ABQ-3 3-Band Active EQ - Finish: NS (Natural Satin) - Bass Boost/Cut - Volume - Mid Boost/Cut - Treble Boost/Cut - Balance - Bass came with S.I.T. Strings gift code. - Tuned Nickle strings (poor quality) - 2 adjustment renches (one for the neck, the other for the bridge)

askemou
    Absolutely an amazing bass! Just got mine (used) for 400 dollars (I live in Denmark, so thats VERY cheap). I've never owned a bass that plays so well - both in terms of playability AND sound quality! The action on mine was set just perfect, and the low B is very tight, compared to the other bass I own! The dual humbucker lets you dial ANY sound you wish for! (I was quickly able to "copy" the Jazz Bass tone - and the classic stingray tone). I run this bass through the GT-10B and its killer! GET BOTH Hope this was helpful to anyone on the nip of buying