LTD EC-404 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-404

I play mostly rock style music and this is perfectly suited to my style of playuing. This bass is so versatile it can be used for just about anything. It can be adjusted for the cleanest highs right down to the dirtiest growling lows I have heard. No string hum at all and produces great slap and taps sounds. I run this through my Behringer BX4500 head, running into a Boss ME-50B effects board and the sound is fantastic, coming right through anything that my band is playing.

I love this bass. When I opened the case it came with, my first impressions were "Wow!" While I play mostly rock, I tend to cover the whole range of music for soft pop to metal to regge and the bass doesn't miss a beat with any of these styles. I've been plauying on and off for the past 16 years, I own 3 other basses but I will always reach for this one first. I did a lot of looking aorund before purchasing this one, but kept on coming back to it every time. I will admit to having a preferance for the Les Paul style basses and this just grabbed me. If this bass was stole I would hunt the person down Who stole it and do very painful things to them. I would definatly buy another one, without a seconds hesitation. The only thing that I can say that surprised me about this bass is that it is bloody heavy and took a bit of getting used to.

This bass gets a flogging. My band plays nearly every weekend and I confidently gig this bass without backup. The hardware hasn't missed a beat and looks like it will keep going strong for a long time yet. The strap buttons that it came with out of the factory are big and look like they will hang onto almost anything, but I swapped them for the strap lock setup I have on all my basses as I tend to jump and carry on a lot on stage. This finish of this bass is still as smooth and as shiny as when it came out of the factory. I'm a finger player and my thumb tends to scratch where I rest it on the pickup of my other basses. Not so with one, still no scratchs after 4 months of heavy uses.

I haven't had to adjust this guitar, I'm still playing with it set up straight out of the factory, that how good they set them up. The big thing that strikes me about this bass is how good the neck feels when I play, it fits into my hand perfectly and is so easy to move around. I'm fairly pedantic about how I like my basses set up but this one came out perfect. Low string actioin, pickups perfectly balanced, I was hard pressed to find anything wrong with it.

Set 34" neck with 22 frets, Mahogany body with flamed maple top with clear black finish, rosewood fretboard with mother of pearl flag inlays and model nane on 12th fret, black nickel hardware with Grover tuners and Tune-O-Matic tail piece, Active EMG 35DC and 35CS pickup, tone-volume-bablance controls.

Tim_5150
    sounds like a great workhorse, but the price tag is a bit pricey...personally i'd go for something like a Yamaha PJ-bass, remove the pickups and replace it with a Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder-P for the middle and a Quarterpounder-J for the bridge...it's waaay cheaper! yay!
    Tim_5150
    thanks for the info tho...i'm doing some research, adn i need lots of user feedback on various instruments and makes.
    basser among us
    Ill be picking this bad boy up from my local guitar shop tomorrow. I only play ESP I have a viper 304 from a few years ago and its all I've been playing since I baught it. Ill keep you guys posted on the 404 Www.myspace.com/heamongus
    VersA
    This is an awesome bass..played it a local guitar store. Plan on buying one as soon as I get some extra cash. Great review!
    muzikman 404
    this bass is amazing. iv owned one for about 6 months and i still havent spotted any flaws. very tough bass. ive dropped it and hit it, and u cant even tell. the only downside is that it is veeeery heavy. $ 1443.24?? i got mine on music123 for half the price
    Black Paranoia
    Getting on of these in may love the sound and the feel plus this review was the on that drove me to get this on e than the ltd phonix