LTD F-104 review by ESP

ESP: LTD F-104

Purchased from: Guitarguitar

I play mostly metal/rock and it's really built for it. It's a pretty versatile thing and can be adjusted to suit most styles of playing. Not brilliant for slapping, but it gets the job done. I use it through a Line 6 15W amp, nothing too special, but it sounds pretty amazing. It purrs beautifully regardless of what settings are played around with and is pretty loud if it wants to be.

As said, it works wonderfully for metal. Some pretty big metal icons use the better versions of this bass, including Tom Araya from Slayer and Orion from Behemoth. It really looks the part too. I've been playing for near enough two years now and it's the best bass I've had so far. The previous ones including models from Schecter and B.C. Rich. What do I love about it? How ridiculously light it is! Compared to my older basses, this thing is a god send! It sounds great, looks great and I can hold it on my shoulder for hours without it feeling heavy and the neck is really slim and agile, meaning quick playing is a lot easier. If it were to be stolen, I'd certainly get a similar model. Maybe an upgraded version, now that I'm confident in ESP's products. I think I'll stick mainly to them from now on. Overall, I highly recommend it!

It'll certainly withstand live playing! Everything on it is built to last, which is pretty awesome for one of the cheaper models from ESP. I may replace the strap buttons, simply because I'm paranoid about damaging it, but they've never let me down so far. The finish is handling pretty well as I have bumped it a few times, both on the body and headstock, and there's nothing to show for it, which is pretty awesome!

The set-up when I got it was pretty great. The action was perfect, the pickups were/are firmly in place, really everything was the way it should be. I can't says I noticed any kind of flaws at all. No buzz, no marks or scraps. All was how it should be. The stock strings themselves are surprisingly good!

This bass is a 24 fret bolt on. The body is basswood, the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard. I'm not totally sure of where and when it was made. I have it in glossy black which is just lovely. The pickups require batteries which I was a little sceptical about at first, but it's very rare that they need replaced. Every 6 months or so if you take care of it properly. It has 4 chrome dome controls dials, for volume, balance, bass and treble. It came with ESP's own soapbar pickups. Nothing special came included.