LTD F-155DX review by ESP

ESP: LTD F-155DX

Price paid: € 448

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I mostly play metal and hard-rock and things like that and it sounds very well for that kind of music. My bass teacher always likes to teach me jazz and stuff and I think it sounds pretty well for that too, but I'm not so into that kind of music that I can say exactly how good it sounds for that. I use it with a Warwick Take 12 amp, a DigiTech Bass Driver stompbox and a DigiTech BP200 Multi effect and it fits good with this equipment (even if it would be better with a specific active input). And in the school we have Hartke 2500 and it sounds really good through them. It is not noisy or anything like that and it has a kinda rich sound that's deep and dark. I'd like if it had a little bit more treble in the sound but not much. It doesn't suit very well for slapping so that's a point off because I would really like to play also that kind of things with it. It sounds well for harmonics also, but I don't like the sound of when you slide because it makes some extra noise everytime you pass a fret.

It is really good for metal, hard rock and blues, I think the sound is kind of too deep for jazz and that kind of things. But for what music I play it's perfect. I've been playing for two years and it's my second bass. My first one was a Yamaha RBX170 which is total crap. Other equipment I have my amp and effects. I knew everything I needed about it when I bought it. If it was stolen I would definitely buy a new one, even if I would like to try other basses too. The things I like about it is that it's really comfortable to play and it suits well with my effects and all the stuff I'm using. And the color is really beutiful. And I also like that it has 24 frets and 5 strings cause I like to have lots of different notes and sounds. I would never buy a fourstring after this. The only thing I don't like is that it's a bit too heavy. I was also thinking of buying a 5-string B\.C\. Rich Warlock, but I picked this one because it was a lot cheaper and I wouldn't have had enough money for my studies with the warlock.

I think this bass would easily withstand Live playing, and the hardware seems like it would last forever. The strap buttons are solid, even if my strap wasn't very good when i bought the bass. But with my new strap it stays in place. I would use it on a gig without backup, no problem. The finnish will stay for a long time. It hasn't even got any scrapes from all of my key chains and things hanging in my belt.

It was in great condition when I got it. It was really well packed and hadn't got any damage during the transport. The pickups were correctly adjusted and everything was fine. It was slightly out of tune, but not much and that was really good 'cause both my tuner and amp was at school 450 kilometres away. The only thing I have to complain about was that 3 of the 5 knobs were loose. One of them vibrates so it sounds like the sound is distorted while not playing through an amp, one is just loose and one of them actually fell off after 2 months.

It was made in Indonesia in 2009 and I have had it for two months now. It's a 5-string and has 24 XJ frets and is in 35" scale. It has a basswood body, flamed maple top, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. The finish is DSTP, I think it meens Dark Striped Purple, but I'm not sure about that. The shape is ESP F-series and it's heavily beveled so which makes it really comfortable to play. It has an ESP BB605 bridge, which means you can change between string-thru or the 'normal' way of bridge. It has active electronics with 5 controls; bass, mid, treble, balance (between bridge and neck pickups) and a master volume control. It has two ESP humbuckers. The tuners are nonlocking ESP. The only included accesories was a set of tools.

jurjen2000
    if you want too slap then you dont need mid or treble you get that by the way you play slapping so try and turn the mid and treble a bit down (on your trusty active eq)and than slap and i thought seeing its dark see-thru purple
    filthylittleboy
    the bridge is the best feature. very nice bass mate, even though the body style is a little too radical for me, and I feel that the lower grade LTD's use very cheap woods
    GuitarPlayer716
    Are the pickups passive or active? I love active pickups but I'll never let them touch my '72 American P-Bass
    TandyJake
    Nice, I was debating for some time between the F-155DX and the B-155DX and chose the B-155DX mainly because of color and shape. Glad to hear the F-155DX plays decent, though I'd rather stick with mine.
    naruki
    I have this bass, its my first bass ever and I'm pleased with it.
    blakebass
    I own this bass and I absolutely disagree about the ability to slap on it. You just have to have a good set up, and know how to slap right. ;P
    henrihell
    Okay, one of the strap buttons fell of once... so it would be good to have a backup anyway. That is a kinda big issue so I would drop the reliability to 8 if I'd done this review now.