LTD F-254 review by ESP

ESP: LTD F-254

I play all sorts of blues, rock (heavy, modern, classic, ect), metal, punk, and some reggae. It can make any sound and match any style I want with the turn of a few knobs. The EQ and Blend give you enough control to go from smooth, resonant blues to bright, poppy slaping solos. it's sound is warm all around and has clarity in the mids and highs. It sustains as long as my friends PRS guitar (which cost $2500). For a "economy" guitar the sound is impecable, thanks to the EQ and Blend, you can get the style you want and it is wired well, keeping the background noise to a zero.

I love this guitar, if anything happend to it I would go out and get it again. I went to 10 different guitar store and tryed out Fenders, G&Ls, Ibanez, Schecter, and many others, when I finally settled for this one. Although it looks like it is made for metal it can play anything. I love the sound and the control I get from the pickups and electronics. I also love the fact that this is the only guitar out that looks like this. ESP is a company known for quality and this bass is no exception.

Many people first worry about the strap buttons on any guitar, but these seem to be great. The first gig I am going to use it in is next week, but in practice I have jumped, spun, and swung it around and the buttons hold perfectly. The only thing that is weak on this guitar is the body, since it is agathis(which is a soft wood) it dents quite easily, but as long as you don't run it into anything everything else will hold up fine.

It was setup perfectly, straight out of the store, the pickups are at the correct height, the bridge's intonation was perfect, there were no flaws, it looked like it had been cleaned, it was even tuned and the I am still using the factory strings 2 months later. Later, I found out that one of the pots was installed at an angle, but it was not enough to cause any problems (that is why I give it a 9) but besides tha it was perfect.

This is part of the LTD series which is made in a factory in Indonesia. It has a 35" scale, 24 big frets. The fretboard is made of rosewood, the neck is a 5 piece maple and walnut neck-thru, and the body is agathis. It has a black finish, grover tuners, the basic ESP bass bridge, and EMG-HZ passive pickups coupled with EMG BQS active electronics (3 EQ, blend, volume). It contains everything a high end bass does, except for active pickups, but that is a matter of prefference.

bassmonkey16
    i dont often think of ESP as a bass company, although i must say it is a nice looking bass. i wouldnt mind owning a bass with this body, but id prefer higher end quality first. good, farily honest reveiw tho.
    MESAexplorer
    " It sustains as long as my friends PRS guitar (which cost $2500)." I find that part very amusing, basses have a lot more sustain than most guitars, especially the D and G strings.
    E V H 5150
    Basses have thicker strings, which allow greater sustain, MESA. That's why the low E sounds longer than the high e string, for example. But that's besides the point. This bass looks very nice. I think if I was going to go shopping for a bass guitar for this kind of price range, I would definitely look take a close look at this one after seeing this review. It would have helped if you said what kind of amp you played it through, however. My theory is that even a Squire could sound better than a Gibson, if the Squire was through a high-end setup, and the Gibson was through crappy equipment.
    jackson action
    ive got the esp ltd viper for a guitar and love it for its playability, and good sound. I wish i also had the body of that on my guitar :M:
    treebranch13
    Hey as for the amp i have played it through my friends ampeg but i mostly use my piece of poop 10 yr old SWR and it sounds good through both
    sictree
    whats the difference between the F-254 and the F-254FM? is it just the paint job??