American Precision Bass review by Fender

Fender: American Precision Bass

I was looking for that classic, P-Bass sound, and I got it... I'd fallen in love with Music Man Stingray basses in my youth, and had persisted playing rock with one for 10 years until I finally broke down recognizing that it wasn't ideally suited for what I was doing. The P-Bass is perfect for hard rock. Really, you don't need any more. It fills out the bottom, and with new strings through my vintage Ampeg V-4B, it gets that awesome, almost piano-like attack.

I love it to death... I wish I hadn't so bone-headedly ruined the finish, but these things happen. I really can't play it enough. I bought it about 7 months ago now, and I still trot it around the house with me, just noodling on it at every opportunity. It makes me want to upgrade the rest of my gear to really do it justice... I lie awake at night dreaming of SVT heads. I held out for the longest time against breaking down and finally buying a P, believing them to be just too common and generic, but you know, when something is as common and popular as a P-Bass, you have to know that there's something to it. I haven't ever regretted buying this bass for a second, and I will probably own it forever. This is value for money.

Yesterday at a drunken open-air show, my guitarist fell on me and the P-Bass which bent the cord in the jack.. if this had happened with any other bass I've ever owned, the jack connection and pickguard would have snapped. I couldn't believe that the 3/4 inch jack had bent, but the bass was fine. I believe that if there were a nuclear holocaust, the only things that would survive would be cockroaches and Fender P-basses.

Action was set too high as standard, but with supplied truss rod tool, was easily rectified. Finish was really nice until I ruined it by wiping it with a brillo pad-yeah, I know, I'm a freakin' moron. Oh well, you learn. The rosewood fretboard is beautiful, and the neck is SOOO fast after my Music Man, which has a massive neck. I can't say enough about the neck. It really feels nice. It's nice and thin without being flimsy, thanks to the graphite reinforcement.

2001 American Standard P-Bass, black with rosewood fretboard. Same as all the other ones since 1950-whatever. Does have the strings through the body mind you, unlike most of its predecessors-this was a big selling point for me, as it distinguishes it from its lesser mexican made bretheren.